Pesto Alfredo is a fun and delicious twist on two favorite pasta dishes. And with only a handful of ingredients and less than 20 minutes of cook time, you’ve got a weeknight win.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
As a self-proclaimed pasta lover, I’m always trying to think up new and delicious pasta dishes. The newest, pesto alfredo, is a hit among my whole family which is quite the feat with two picky kids.
It’s become a favorite in our meal rotation and I think you’ll love it too not just because it’s tasty but for the ease of prep too.
Ingredients for Pesto Alfredo
You only need six simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper) to make this tasty pesto alfredo. Here’s what you’re going to need:
Make the Pesto Alfredo Sauce
First start by getting a large pot of water boiling. The sauce will come together quickly while the pasta is cooking.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted add the garlic and saute for about a minute, until it softens and is fragrant.
Pour in the heavy cream and allow to simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened. This should take about three minutes. Stir in salt, pepper and pesto.
The recipe gives a range for the amount of pesto. If you want a hint of the pesto flavors, go with about two tablespoons. If you want more flavor, add four tablespoons (1/4 cup) of pesto. You can start off with two then taste and go from there.
Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the parmesan cheese until smooth.
Toss with hot pasta and dinner is ready.
How to Reheat Alfredo Pasta
If you’re an alfredo lover, you know that it gets weird when reheated. Nobody loves a seperated, oily pasta so I have some tips for you to help in that department.
There is a stovetop, oven and microwave method and you can read about them here. I definitely recommend taking the extra time to reheat using one of these methods for best results.
More Pasta Recipes to Try
- 12 ounces fettucine pasta
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water then cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the past is cooking, make the sauce. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter. Once melted, add garlic and saute for 1 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and simmer for about 3 minutes, until slightly thickened. Add desired amount of pesto (if you want a hinto of pesto flavor, add 2 tablespoons then add more until desired taste). Remove sauce from heat and whisk in parmesan cheese until smooth.
- Drain pasta then toss with the sauce. Serve immediately. Shred more parmesan on top if desired.