Movie night just got a whole lot better with this Cast Iron Skillet Pizza. It has the perfect crispy bottom and is topped with your favorite pizza toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I’ll take pizza any way you serve it to me but I have a special place in my heart for a really crispy crust. Not a cracker type crust, but one that is crunchy and chewy and fluffy all at the same time.
If you love a crispy, pan-style pizza too, this Cast Iron Skillet Pizza is a must try for you. The bottom gets super crispy while the exterior of the crust stays nice and fluffy. Perfection.
Ingredients for Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
You’ll need ingredients for the homemade crust as well as the pizza toppings of your choice. I listed the toppings I used here but make sure to check out the list at the bottom of this post for more fun topping ideas.
How to Make the Crust
Let’s start off by saying I LOVE a homemade pizza crust. If I have the time, I’m making every time. So I chose to make it homemade for this recipe.
But I totally understand if you don’t have the time. You can use store-bought crust for this recipe. The crust will get crispy on the bottom but I can’t guarantee the interior texture.
To make the homemade crust, combine the warm water and yeast in the bowl of your stand mixer. Stir it well then let it sit until it has foamed and risen.
Add olive oil, salt and 2 cups of flour. Using the dough hook, mix until the dough comes together. Add up to another 1/2 cup of flour, until a ball has formed and the dough is not sticking to the sides of the bowl.
Knead the dough on medium speed for 5 minutes, until it’s elastic to the touch. Place ball of dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled, about an hour and a half.
Shape the Pizza
Drizzle a little olive oil into two 10-inch cast iron skillets. Brush it to cover the bottom and sides of the skillet.
Divide the dough in half and place a one in each of the prepared skillets. Gently press the dough with your fingers until you have reached the edges of the skillet.
Cover the skillets with a towel and let rise for 20 minutes, until slightly puffy.
Top and Bake Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
Spread pizza with sauce. I used my favorite homemade pizza sauce. If you want something a little different, use alfredo sauce or pesto.
Sprinkle with lots of cheese and top with pepperoni.
This pizza is baked at a high temperature to make sure the bottom of the crust crisps up perfectly.
Once baked, let it set for a couple minutes then remove from the skillet to a cutting board and slice into pieces.
Fun Pizza Topping Ideas:
I went super classic for my cast iron skillet pizza but the possibilites are unlimited. Here’s some other fun topping ideas you could include:
I could keep going but I think you get the idea.
What to Serve with Your Pizza
To really bring home the pizza vibes, this Chopped Pizza Salad would be the perfect way to round things out. It’s filled with all your favorite pizza toppings and drizzled with dressing of your choice.
More Pizza Recipes to Try:
Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
- 2 10-inch cast iron skillet
For the crust:
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 110 degrees F)
- 1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- nonstick cooking spray
For the pizza toppings:
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce
- 8 oz. block mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- pepperoni slice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the warm water and yeast. Stir until dissolved. Let sit for 5 minutes, until foamy. Add olive oil, salt and 2 cups of flour. Mix with dough hook. Add up to 1/2 cup flour until dough forms a ball and leaves sides of bowl. Knead at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray. Add dough, flip to ensure it's covered in nonstick spray. Cover with a towel and let rise, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Once dough is risen, preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil to two 10-inch cast iron skillets. Spread to cover the bottom and sides of the skillets. Divide dough in half and place a half into each prepared skillet. Gently press down until the dough reaches the edges. Cover with a towel and let rise 20 minues. It will rise slightly.
- Spread half the sauce onto each pizza crust. Top each with half the cheeses and then top with pepperoni. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese and the bottom of the crust are golden.