Make this sweet, creamy Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream for your Valentine. Roasted strawberries intensify the flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Are you an ice cream year round kind of person? I really hope so because this strawberry chocolate chip ice cream would be Valentines perfection.
The pale pink color studded with all the chocolate flecks is sooo pretty. And dang good too.
Ingredients for Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
The ingredient list for this ice cream is pretty short and sweet. Here’s what you’ll need:
A few notes on the ingredients. I recommend using fresh strawberries. If you were to use frozen, they may be too watery and could create a more crystalized final product that wouldn’t be a great texture.
You may need to increase or decrease the amount of sugar used depending on the sweetness of your strawberries. Taste your strawberries first to determine how much sugar to add. I’ll go into more detail below.
Because the base of the ice cream is pretty sweet, I prefer the bitterness that dark chocolate adds to this ice cream. But if you prefer something a little sweeter, semi-sweet chocolate would be delicious too.
Grab a bar of your favorite chocolate and chop it finely with a sharp knife. Then you get little flecks and bites of chocolate throughout and it’s not as hard as chomping on a chocolate chip.
The secret to this strawberry chocolate chip ice cream is roasting the strawberries. It brings out SO much sweetness from the berries.
Slice fresh strawberries into quarters and add to a baking dish. I used an 8×8 baking dish for my strawberries.
Add vanilla extract and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sugar and stir. Roast for about 20 minutes, until super soft.
How to Make Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Add heavy cream and remaining sugar to a small saucepan and heat until the edges start to bubble. Make sure the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
Stir the heavy cream mixture into the strawberry puree. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
Once cooled, pour into your ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturers instructions. During the last few minutes of churning, add the chopped chocolate.
How to Store Ice Cream
Once the ice cream has churned you can enjoy it right away or freeze it for later. I love using these containers for freezing my ice cream.
They are cheap, reusable and freezer friendly. You can write on them with dry erase markers to label and date that you can wash off later.
Store homemade ice cream in the freezer for up to two week for best freshness.
Perfect for All Occasions
This pretty pink ice cream would be the perfect dessert for Valentine’s day. It would also be a cute treat for a baby shower.
And of course, it would be the best dessert all summer long.
More Ice Cream Recipes to Try:
Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 3/4 – 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 4 oz. dark chocolate bar, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Taste an extra strawberry for sweetness. This will help you know how much sugar to add later. Add strawberries to a small rimmed baking dish (I used an 8×8 pan). Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla extract and stir. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add heavy cream and 1/2-3/4 cup sugar. If you strawberries are super ripe and sweet, add 1/2 cup. If they weren't very sweet, add 3/4 cup. Heat over medium low heat, stirring, until bubbles form around the edges of the pan. We just want to dissolve the sugar. Pour heavy cream into a heat safe bowl with a lid and set aside.
- Add the roasted strawberries, along with any juices they released, to a blender or food processor. Add whole milk and blend until smooth. Pour into the heavy cream mixture and stir well. Refrigerate until completely cool, 4 hours to overnight.
- Once cooled, add to your ice cream machine. Freeze according to manufacturers instructions. During last few minutes of churning, add chopped dark chocolate. Eat right away or store in freezer in airtight containers.