This cheesy Cheeseburger Chowder is incredibly creamy and hearty. Filled with ground beef, tender potatoes and a delicious cheesy broth.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Is cheeseburger chowder a thing where you live? Or is it just a midwest thing?
This cheeseburger soup is the ultimate comfort food. It’s rich. It’s cheesy. It’s beefy. I know you’re going to love it for soup season.
If you love a cheeseburger and are already missing them from this summer, whip up a delicious batch of this cheeseburger chowder to give you all the burger vibes.
Ingredients for Cheeseburger Chowder
How to Make Cheeseburger Chowder
This soup is a two step process but don’t get worried, they are both pretty simple.
Start by heating a large stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon.
Add onion and garlic to the beef and continue cooking until it’s no longer pink. Drain excess grease then season with salt and pepper.
Add stock and diced potatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
The Cheesy Magic
Now it’s time to make the cheese sauce to add to the beef soup mixture. Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and allow to melt.
Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until it comes together. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute to get rid of the raw flour taste.
Whisk in the half and half and cook until it thickens slightly. Add velveeta and sharp cheddar and stir until it’s all melted.
Bring It All Together
Once the potatoes are tender, add the cheese sauce to the dutch oven. Gently whisk until it’s thoroughly combined.
Ladle into bowls and serve. You could top with green onion if desired. You could add croutons as well for the bun part of the cheeseburger.
Reheats Like a Dream
This reheats amazingly well and is just as good, if not better, the day before. Don’t you love recipes like that?!
Let it cool fully before placing in an airtight container and placing in the refrigerator. It’s good for up to 5 days.
More Cheesy Soups
- 1 pound ground beef (85/15)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups beef stock
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 8 ounces chopped velveeta
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- Heat a large dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Once hot, add ground beef and break up with a wooden spoon. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add onion and garlic and continue to cook until no longer pink. Add beef stock and potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Whisk into melted butter and cook for 1 minute. Add half and half and cook until slightly thickened. Add velveeta and shredded sharp cheddar. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the beef and potato mixture. Gently whisk until it is completely combined.