Cheesy Sausage Potato Soup is hearty, filling and super simple for weeknight dinners. Made with common ingredients in less than 40 minutes.
Isn’t potato soup the best soup around?! I mean, I know there’s broccoli cheese and tortilla and chicken noodle. But let’s be real, nothing can beat a cheesy potato soup. Add smoked sausage and it’s not even a discussion.
If you like recipes that:
•Use ingredients you already have on hand or can pick up easily
•Come together in a snap
•Taste just as good reheated as they did fresh last night
•Will keep you full and won’t make you feel the need to grab for a snack an hour later
YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE MY FRIENDS.
This one is packed full of creamy potatoes, smoked, caramelized sausage and a cheesy brothy situation that is both creamy and light at the same time.
As the potatoes cook away in chicken stock to give them crazy good flavor, a simple cheese sauce gets whisked up. This cheese sauce is a super basic macaroni and cheese sauce base that consists of a roux of butter and flour, milk and sharp cheddar cheese.
Once the cheese is thick and creamy is get gently mixed into the potatoes, sausage and chicken stock. It thins out a bit but has this perfect, silkiness to it.
The true mark of a successful soup is how it reheats and this one is a dream in that department. Dare I say it’s even better the next day. It thickens up a little from the starch in the potatoes and the smoked sausage stands out even more. That means, SOUP FOR DAYS.
Top this off with a few sprinkles of chopped green onions for some freshness and you’re on the way to hearty soup heaven.
Cheesy Sausage Potato Soup
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 smoked sausage link, diced into rounds then quartered
- 1 1/2 lbs. potatoes, diced into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Green onions, for garnish
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-low heat. Add olive oil, onions, sausage and potatoes. Saute until onion is translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Add stock to the mixture and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add butter and melt. Whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in half the milk and stir until slightly thickened. Add additional milk and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar until melted.
- After potatoes have softened, remove the pot from heat. Slowly whisk in the cheese sauce. Divide into bowls and top with chopped green onion.
Subscribe to our mailing list