Skip the drive thru line and make a hot, crispy Fried Chicken Sandwich at home with a few simple ingredients.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I love a crispy fried chicken sandwich. Whether it’s dipped in buffalo sauce, drizzled with honey mustard or classic with mayo and loads of pickles, I’ll take them all.
This recipe is for a basic but totally delicious fried chicken sandwich that you can dress up however you like.
Ingredients for Fried Chicken Sandwich
Here’s what you need to make these delicious fried chicken sandwiches:
Marinade Your Chicken
The key to the juiciness of this chicken sandwich is the marinade. All you need for the marinade is buttermilk, pickle juice, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
Whisk it all together and add your chicken. Make sure to squish it around and ensure everything is covered.
I like to let the chicken soak overnight but if you don’t have that much time, try for at least 8 hours.
Bread and Fry the Chicken
Once the chicken has had time to marinade, it’s time to bread and fry it. Start by filling a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil, about 1 1/2-inches high. Heat over medium heat to about 350 degrees F.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and allow any excess to drip off. Coat well with the flour mixture then set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Once the oil is hot, add chicken to the pan, making sure not to crowd it. Fry for about five minutes per side.
Assemble and Enjoy
Spread hamburger buns with a hefty layer of mayo and tons of pickles. I’m a big pickle girl if you haven’t noticed. Add any additional toppings you would like.
Place fried chicken on top, add the top bun and enjoy right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best way to reheat the chicken? If you have an air fryer, that’s my favorite way. Reheat at 360 degrees for about 5 minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer, preheat your to 350 degrees and heat until hot through.
How long are the leftovers good? Refrigerate for up to four days.
I’m gluten-free, what can I sub for the all-purpose flour? Rice flour is a great swap here. It will make for a super crispy sandwich.
More Chicken Sandwiches to Try:
Fried Chicken Sandwich
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 large chicken thighs or breasts
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Trader Joe's pickle seasoning
- vegetable or canola oil for frying
- hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, pickle juice, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Add chicken and fully submerge. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to overnight.
- Add 1 1/2-inch of oil to a cast iron skillet. Heat over medium heat until 350 degrees. Meanwhile, bread the chicken.
- In a pie plate or shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and pickle seasoning. Remove chicken from marinade and let excess drip off. Place in flour and coat well. Set aside. Continue with remaining chicken.
- Once oil is hot, add chicken, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook for five minutes per side. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Slather buns with mayo, add chicken and pickles and enjoy.