Spicy, flavorful chicken on a fresh, chewy bun slathered with remoulade. This Blackened Chicken Sandwich will quickly become your go to main for all your summer cook outs.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner or something different for your next barbecue, these blackened chicken sandwiches.
With an easy to make blackening spice and store-bought remoulade, you’ll have these sandwiches on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Blackened Chicken Sandwich
The ingredient list is pretty simple for these chicken sandwiches. Here’s what you are going to need:
Mix Up the Blackening Spice
The blackening spice is easy to mix up and the spices are pretty common to have on hand.
Add the brown sugar and all the spices to a bowl and mix well. Make sure you don’t have any clumps of brown sugar in your rub.
If you want to shortcut this step, you can buy a jar of blackening spice in the spice aisle instead.
Season and Grill the Chicken
Sprinkle and press in the blackening spice on both sides of the chicken. Make sure you get every bit covered.
Preheat your grill over medium heat. You want to aim for 400 degrees F. Once hot, add the chicken to the grill.
Cook for about 6 minutes per side. Times will depend on the thickness of your chicken. If it’s on the thicker side, 6 minutes will be perfect. If it’s thinner, flip at 3 minutes and go from there.
More Chicken Sandwiches to Try
Blackened Chicken Sandwich
For the blackening spice:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 Tablepsoons black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the sandwiches:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 hamburger buns or rolls, sliced in half
- Remoulade sauce
- Lettuce, tomato, onion
- Preheat grill to medium heat, around 400 degrees F. In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the blackening spice. Make sure you don't have any clumps of brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the spice mix over the chicken and press to get it to stick. Cover both sides well. Add chicken to hot grill and cook 3 to 6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken breast.
- Spread desired amount of remoulade sauce on the buns. Top with a chicken breast, lettuce, tomato and onion.