Easy, delicious and perfect for summer, this Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sandwich will quickly become a weeknight favorite. Grab 5 simple ingredients and get dinner on the table fast.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I am always on the search for EASY dinners. You all know that’s my jam. It’s even better when you only need a handful of ingredients to make it happen.
This grilled chicken parmesan sandwich recipe fulfills all those requirements and more. Active prep time for this one clocks in at less than 20 minutes.
Perfect for warm spring and summer days when all you want to do is hang by the pool or lay in the hammock reading. Can you see my summer plans as clearly as I can?!
Ingredients for Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
Marinate the Chicken
Like stated above, I like to marinate the chicken in Italian dressing to provide even more flavor.
Place the chicken in a container that has a lid or a reusable silicone bag. Pour dressing on top, seal and move around to ensure the chicken is coated.
Marinate for an hour or up to overnight.
Grill the Chicken
Because the chicken is thin, it’ll only need a few minute per side on the grill. Remove it from the Italian dressing and grill over medium heat until you have nice grill marks and juices run clear.
During the last minute of grilling, throw on the mozzarella cheese and allow it to melt.
Toast the Buns
This is an optional step but one I love for the texture it adds to the sandwiches.
Slice the kaiser buns in half and place them on the grill when you top the chicken with the cheese. In the amount of time it takes for the cheese to melt, the buns will perfectly toast.
Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly. About a minute will be perfect.
Assemble Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
Top the grilled buns with a piece of chicken. Slather the top of the bun with the desired amount of spaghetti sauce.
Throw the bun on top and enjoy your grilled chicken parm sandwich.
What to Serve
Keep the grilling theme going by serving these chicken sandwiches with my official side of summer, grilled potato wedges.
Throw together the best side salad and you’ve got a perfect summer meal.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan Sandwich
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded out thinly
- 1/3 cup Italian dressing
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 4 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- Place chicken in a bowl or bag. Pour over Italian dressing, make sure chicken is coated. Marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 1 hour to overnight.
- Heat grill over medium heat. Grill chicken 2 to 3 minutes per side, until juices run clear. During last minute of cooking, top chicken with a slice of mozzarella. Place buns on grill and lightly toast. Watch the buns closely as they can burn quickly.
- Remove chicken and buns from the grill. Top each of the bottom buns with a piece of chicken. Slather the tops of the buns with 1 to 2 tablespoons of spaghetti sauce each. Top chicken with buns and serve.