Summer isn’t over yet so fire up the grill for these Teriyaki Chicken Burgers. Flavorful chicken patties topped with grilled pineapple and teriyaki make the most deicious meal on a hot night.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
If you’ve ever been to Red Robin, you may recognize this Teriyaki Chicken Burger. I was inspired by their menu to recreate this yummy burger at home.
Instead of a chicken breast, I used ground chicken so that I could add even more flavor through the patty. So while it’s not a complete copycat, it definitely has the same vibes.
Ingredients for Teriyaki Chicken Burgers
A blast of flavors come together to create these delicious teriyaki chicken burgers. And what’s even better is the ingredient list is short and sweet. Here’s what you are going to need:
Assemble the Teriyaki Burgers
Place the ground chicken in a mixing bowl. Add thinly sliced green onion, fresh grated ginger and teriyaki to the bowl. Mix well, this is easiest with clean hands.
Divide mixture into four even balls then flatten and form into patties. I like mine on the thinner side to ensure they cook through without drying out.
Once the burger patties are formed, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
This will help them from crumbling on the grill like handmade chicken or turkey burgers sometimes tend to do.
Grill Burgers and Pineapple
Fire up the grill to medium high heat, around 400 degrees F. Add the burger patties on one side and the pineapple rings on the other side.
Grill the pineapple for about two minutes per side, or until you get nice grill marks on them. The burgers will need three to four minutes per side. Make sure to brush the burgers with teriyaki several times for even more flavor.
Alternative Cooking Option
Too cold or windy to fire up the grill? Don’t own a grill? No worries. You can make these teriyaki chicken burgers indoors year round.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. I prefer a cast iron skillet since it will provide a nice crust that will give the same feeling as a grill.
Add the pineapple to the hot skillet and cook for a few minutes per side, until seared. Remove from skillet to a clean plate.
Drizzle a tablespoon or two of olive oil into the skillet and cook the burgers for about four minutes per side, or until they are cooked through.
More Burger Recipes to Try
Teriyaki Chicken Burgers
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce + more for basting and assembly
- 1 can pineapple rings, you will need 4
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- leaf lettuce
- Add ground chicken, green onion, ginger and two tablespoons teriyaki sauce to a mixing bowl. Mix together well. Form into four even balls then flatten and shape into patties. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Freeze for 30 minutes. This will help them not fall apart while grilling. You can skip this step if you're in a hurry, just be careful flipping the burgers.
- Heat grill over medium high heat, around 400 degrees. Add four pineapple rings to one side of the grill and the teriyaki burgers to the other side. Cook pineapple two minutes per side, or until they have nice grill marks. Grill burgers three minutes then brush with teriyaki sauce before flipping. Brush with more teriyaki sauce and cook another three minutes. Add swiss cheese to each burger and allow to melt.
- To assemble: add burger to bun then top with a slice of grilled pineapple and some leaf lettuce. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce and serve.