Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken is the ultimate simple summer dinner. A bright, herby marinade lends SO much flavor and a perfect char on the grill finishes it off.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
If you’re looking for an easy yet flavorful dinner that’s bursting with all the summery vibes, I’ve got you. This grilled lemon herb chicken takes minutes to prep and grill making it perfect for your busy or lazy summer days.
Ingredients for Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken
We’ve got another short and sweet ingredient list for this one. Here’s what you’ll need:
Whisk Up the Marinade
In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, chopped fresh herbs, salt and pepper.
Add the chicken to the bowl and toss around with tongs to ensure all the chicken is coated in the marinade.
Cover and refrigerate for one to three hours. This will give lots of flavor without altering the texture of the chicken (which acid can do if it’s marinaded too long).
Preheat your grill to a medium high heat. I always aim for 400 degrees F on my gas grill.
Once hot, add the chicken and cook for about six to seven minutes per side (if you’re using boneless skinless thighs). This will provide a nice sear to both sides of the chicken.
Once it’s done, remove from the grill to a plate and let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting. This allows the juices to redistribute and ensures you have juicy chicken.
Tips for Grilling
Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling. This takes the chill off the chicken and ensures an even cook throughout. This is a great tip for any kind of protein you are grilling.
Make sure your grill if fully preheated before placing the chicken on the grates. This ensures a perfect, juicy sear on your chicken. And don’t move it once it’s placed on the grill. If it’s resisting being flipped, it’s not ready yet.
Use a digital thermometer. I always use a digital thermometer for any protein I’m grilling (or baking). This ensures it’s cooked perfectly every time.
Serve It Up
I love this grilled lemon chicken served with grilled veggies, an easy side salad or lemon dill rice.
You can also dice up the chicken and add it to salads or pasta.
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 large lemons, zested and juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- In a large bowl, whisk oregano, thyme, lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Add chicken to the bowl and move around until it's all coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and no longer than 4 hours.
- Thirty minutes before cooking, remove chicken from the fridge and leave at room temperature. Preheat the grill to medium high heat, around 400 degrees F. Once hot, add chicken and cook 6 to 7 minutes per side. Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.