Need some tropical vibes in your life?! This Grilled Coconut Chicken will transport your mind to the beach. Simple, healthy and packed with coconut flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy. As always, thank you for supporting my small business.
These past few months all I’ve wanted in my recipes is for them to be quick and easy. Like, ridiculously easy. And preferably on the grill so we don’t have to heat up the house.
In comes this Grilled Coconut Chicken. The only effort you have to put into it is dicing the chicken into chunks and whisking up a few ingredients.
Though this recipe may seem simple, the coconut milk marinade completely transforms the chicken and provides so much flavor while still being healthy.
Grilled Coconut Chicken Ingredients
How to Make Grilled Coconut Chicken
This couldn’t get easier. Start out by cutting your chicken into 1-inch chunks. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water to keep them from burning too much.
Whisk together the coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ground ginger. Measure out 1/2 cup of the marinade for basting later.
Add the chicken to the bowl and stir until it’s completely coated.
Cover, place it in the fridge and marinate it for as little as 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
Once you’re ready to cook, get your grill turned on to medium heat. While you’re waiting for it to warm up, thread the chunks of chicken onto your skewers.
Grill for about 15 minutes, flipping and basting with the reserved marinade every 5 minutes.
Healthy and Flavorful
The coconut milk in the marinade brings so much flavor and makes the chicken SO tender.
The addition of soy sauce and lime juice gives the chicken Thai food vibes which is always a plus.
Then the grill adds that summer nostalgic charred flavor. It all combines to a delicious meal that everyone will love.
I especially love serving it with coconut lime rice to really bring home that coconutty tropical flavor.
More Summer Main Dishes:
Grilled Coconut Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 13.66 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger. Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade, cover and refrigerate.
- Add chicken to remaining marinade and stir to coat. Cover the bowl and marinade for 1 to 8 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat grill over medium heat. Thread chicken onto skewers. Grill for 5 minutes, flip then baste with reserved marinade. Cook 5 minutes, flip and baste again. Cook another 5 minutes. Total grill time is 15 minutes. Remove from grill.