Skip eating out and make this copycat Chili’s Margarita Grilled Chicken. It’s a restaurant favorite that tastes just as delicious at home.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
You all love a copycat recipe. They are always the most popular recipes here on the blog day after day.
So what better than to bring a summertime classic and restaurant favorite, Chili’s Margarita Grilled Chicken. It’s my very favorite thing to order there and I’m so excited to make it at home now.
With just a handful of ingredients, you’ll have a delicious copycat recipe on the table.
Ingredients for Margarita Grilled Chicken
The ingredient list is pretty short and simple. Here’s what you will need:
Marinate the Margarita Chicken
To marinate the chicken, simply whisk together all the ingredients. Place the chicken in a bowl with a lid or a reusable silicone bag and pour the marinade over the chicken.
Move it around to make sure it’s fully coated. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours to overnight. The longer it marinates, the more flavorful it will be.
Grill to Perfection
Once your chicken has marinated, preheat your grill over medium heat (that’s around 400 degrees F).
Because the chicken is thin, it will cook pretty quickly. Cook for 3 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
How to Serve Chili’s Margarita Grilled Chicken
I like to serve this margarita chicken just like they do at Chili’s. I make up a batch of my favorite Mexican rice first.
Seasoned black beans are also a must with this meal. Top it all off with a dollop of pico and some tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips for a nice crunch.
More Copycat Favorites:
Chili’s Margarita Grilled Chicken
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and even
- 1/2 cup margarita mix
- 2 Tbsp. tequila
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- prepared pico de gallo, optional
- tortilla strips, optional
- 1 batch Mexican rice, optional
- 1 batch seasoned black beans, optional
- Whisk together margarita mix, tequila, orange juice, honey, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Place chicken in a bowl (that has a lid) or a ziptop bag. Pour marinade over the chicken and move around to ensure it's fully coated. Marinate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium heat (around 400 degrees). Once hot, place chicken on grill and cook for about 3 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Serve with Mexican rice and seasoned black beans if desired. Top with pico and tortilla strips.