Rich chocolate muffins with smooth cream cheese filling swirled throughout. Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins make a delicious addition to your breakfast or brunch table.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
These muffins may look impressive but they are surprisingly easy to make. The batter mixes up quickly with common pantry ingredients and the cream cheese layer is even easier.
Make a batch for an easy breakfast or to look good at your next family brunch.
Ingredients for Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins
Room Temperature Ingredients
When baking, it’s important for your ingredients to be at room temperature. This doesn’t just mean butter in baking recipes.
The eggs, buttermilk, sour cream and cream cheese should all be at room temperature. But why?
Room temperature ensures all the ingredients incorporate well and fully to the recipe. Cold ingredients may not cream into the batter as well and will affect the texture of the finished product.
Whip Together the Cream Cheese Filling
The cream cheese filling is super easy to mix up. Make sure you start with room temperature cream cheese. If it’s too cold it won’t mix properly and you’ll end up with a chunky filling.
Add cream cheese, a large egg (also at room temperature), granulated sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. You can use a spatula to stir together or a hand mixer.
Make the Muffin Batter
Mix all your dry ingredients into a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients.
Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and fold together until the batter just comes together. Make sure not to overmix as it will yield tough muffins.
Swirl the Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins
Start by lining your muffin pan with liners. Add a scoop of muffin batter to the bottom of each liners. I like using a cookie scoop to ensure the muffins are even.
Top each with 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture then top with another scoop of muffin batter.
Lastly, add another tablespoon of cream cheese mixture to the top then use a toothpick to swirl around the two batters.
Bake until spongy and perfect.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I store these muffins? Even though these muffins have cream cheese, you don’t need to refrigerate them. Simply place in an airtight container and keep at room temperature.
How long will they last? When properly stored, these muffins will last about 4 to 5 days.
What do I serve with these muffins? Because they are so rich and chocolatey, these muffins go really well with fresh fruit. I especially love them with berries.
More Muffin Recipes
Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins
Cream cheese filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and 1 cup granulated sugar. Add vegetable oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients into dry and gently fold until the batter just comes together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the cream cheese filling ingredients until super smooth. You can use a hand or stand mixer for this if you desire.
- Fill muffin cups a little less than halfway with chocolate batter (I like to use a cookie scoop to help keep them even). Top each with 2 tablespoons cream cheese filling. Top with another scoop of chocolate batter. Finally, top with 1 tablespoon more of cream cheese filling. Take a toothpick and swirl each one.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.