Orange Chocolate Chunk Muffins are quick and simple to mix up with bright, flavorful results. Their light crumb make them almost too easy to eat.
I haven’t shared a muffin recipe in so long friends but this one is worth the wait.
If you’ve been around for some time, you know that I’m not a big fan of chocolate (and I thank you for sticking around and trusting me anyway). If I am going to eat chocolate though, I usually prefer it with an additional flavor or something mixed in. My go to options are almonds, mint or orange.
I’d have to say orange and dark chocolate would have to be my favorite combination if I had to choose. Like, this chocolate bar is life and that’s saying lots coming from me.
I like chocolate and orange together but not so much that I would make the actual batter chocolate. So instead, chocolate chunks.
These muffins have the perfect light and fluffy texture that plays so nicely with the big chunks of creamy dark chocolate dotted throughout them.
These muffins get a double dose of orange goodness with the use of the fresh orange juice and tons of orange zest. The zest of citrus is filled with oil that hold the concentrated flavor of the fruit so using the zest brings so much flavor to whatever you use it in.
A microplane is important for getting all the zest off your citrus. This is the one I have and I love it. It’s super affordable and I use it several times a week since it’s good for grating garlic, parmesan cheese, fresh nutmeg or cinnamon and more. It would be a fun little stocking stuffer for the favorite cook in your life.
I love that all you need to dirty for this recipe is two bowls. I don’t know why but I just despise having to softened butter and get out my stand mixer for muffins.
I’m totally fine with it for cookies or frosting or whatever else really but when it’s muffin time I just want it to be easy. Dump, stir, done. Anyone else with me?
I’m guessing I feel this way because I wait until it’s late to make them for the next morning and I want to get them in the oven as fast as possible. Maybe being a little more responsible would make me less aggressive towards certain muffins recipes, hah.
For now, I think I’ll stick to my simple yet delicious muffins.
Orange Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Zest of 2 large oranges
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin papers and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, oil, orange zest, orange juice, buttermilk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks. Divide evenly among the muffin cups (I like to use an ice cream scoop to make sure they are even).
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.