Fall in love with autumns new favorite flavor combination. This Chocolate Pumpkin Cake is bursting with rich chocolate, sweet pumpkin and all our favorite fall spices.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I love a festive fall dessert and this pumpkin chocolate cake totally fits the bill. It’s simple to make and filled with delicious fall flavors.
If you’ve never had the combination of chocolate, pumpkin and warm cinnamon you need to try this cake.
This cake starts with a cake mix to make things a little easier. But don’t worry, it tastes totally homemade and is packed with delicious fall flavors.
Boxed chocolate cake mix is the base of this cake. It’s jazzed up with canned pumpkin, homemade pumpkin pie spice, extra eggs, oil and buttermilk.
These additional ingredients add tons of flavor and moistness to this cake.
The frosting is a delicious combination of marshmallow fluff and buttercream which is SO good on the tender chocolate pumpkin cake. The sweetness of the frosting balances out the richness from the chocolate.
What You Need
Here’s a list of all the ingredients you will need for the cake and frosting:
This cake has the most amazing texture thanks to the moist pumpkin puree and buttermilk. It’s tender and a little heavy at the same time.
Almost fall apart tender when you cut a piece. It’s just so good.
Have Fun Decorating
I like using the pumpkin shaped candy corns for this recipe so that you know upon looking at it that it contains pumpkin. But if they aren’t your favorite feel free to skip them.
Some fall themed sprinkles would be a fun and festive addition to the cake.
More Fall Desserts to Try
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
For the frosting:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 13 ounce jar marshmallow fluff
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- candy corn pumpkins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, eggs and buttermilk. Add chocolate cake mix and pumpkin pie spice and stir together until just combined. Pour into a greased 13×9 pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool.
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat the butter until smooth. Add marshmallow fluff and mix again. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Beat frosting until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Spread onto cooled cake and decorate with candy corn pumpkins. Cover and refrigerate until ready to eat.