devouring politely eating several lettuce wraps at P.F. Changs during a trip to Minneapolis a few months ago, I have had lettuce wraps on my mind and have made several different and unique varieties.
I made these yummy buffalo chicken buffalo chicken wraps when my mom came to visit recently and they were a huge hit. Just a few short years ago, I wouldn’t eat lettuce…not on sandwiches, not a salad and definitely not as a replacement for a tortilla. So, needless to say, it still surprises my mom when I make, eat or crave meals like this. I’m sure she chalks it up to me being difficult.
This is a great meal to have in your back pocket when you need a quick, simple and healthy dinner. The crockpot does all the cooking so the only time this takes is to prep the veggies. As with most lettuce wraps, these are super messy so be prepared for drippy buffalo hands.
- 24 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I like Louisiana Hot Sauce)
- 6 large lettuce leaves, Bibb or Iceberg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 large celery stalks, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- Crumbled bleu cheese (we used feta since we don't like bleu cheese)
- Light ranch or bleu cheese dressing
- In a crock pot, combine chicken, onions, celery stalk, garlic and broth (enough to cover your chicken, use water if the can of broth isn't enough). Cover and cook on high 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the 1/2 cup broth and the hot sauce and set to on high for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 3 cups chicken.
- To prepare lettuce cups, place 1/2 cup buffalo chicken in each leaf, top with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, celery and cheese/dressing of your choice. Wrap up and start eating!