Grilling season is upon us and I’m betting this Grilled Pineapple Chicken will quickly become a favorite. Sweet, smoky, healthy and SO easy to make.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
This recipe was inspired by a recent dish I had at a restaurant. The chicken was sweet and charred and served alongside grilled pineapple and peppers. I knew I had to recreate it at home.
And of course share it with you all. This Grilled Pineapple Chicken features a simple pineapple marinade and your outdoor grill (or grill pan).
It’s a little sweet, a little citrusy and a little smoky. Perfect for easy and light grilling all spring and summer long.
Ingredients for Pineapple Chicken
The ingredient list is pretty simple for this recipe. Here’s what you are going to need:
Marinade the Chicken
In a medium bowl, whisk together the juice from the canned pineapple, lime juice, brown sugar, chili powder and minced garlic.
Place chicken in a bag. I like to use these reusable zip top bags. Pour the marinade over the chicken, let out as much air as possible and seal the bag.
Marinade for at least 3 hours or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
Grill the Chicken
Once the chicken has been marinaded it’s grilling time. Preheat your grill to medium high heat, around 400 degrees.
Add the chicken and pineapple rings to the grill. Discard the marinade.
Grill the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your chicken. The pineapple rings will take about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
How to Serve
There are so many ways to enjoy this delicious pineapple chicken. We served it with my instant pot cilantro lime rice to make an easy weeknight meal of it.
You can also dice it up and throw it on top of a salad to add some protein or use it to make lettuce wraps.
If you wanted to whip up a pineapple salsa to put on top, that would be delicious as well.
More Easy Grilling Recipes
Grilled Pineapple Chicken
- 20 ounce can pineapple rings
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- In a bowl, whisk together the juice from the canned pineapple, lime juice, brown sugar, chili powder and garlic. Refrigerate pineapple rings for later.
- Place the chicken in a zip top bag. Pour marinade over the chicken. Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat (around 400 degrees). Once hot, add chicken to grill and pineapple to the grill. Cook chicken for 5 to 6 minutes, until no longer pink inside. Grill pineapple 2 to 3 minutes per side.