Fire up the grill and throw on these Cheddar Stuffed Turkey Burgers. Ooey gooey in the middle, super tender and perfect for all your summer cookouts.
I’m so excited to once again team up with the National Turkey Federation to share the most delicious grilled turkey recipe. It will definitely be a hit at all your summer cookouts this year!
In the summertime, grilling is life. It’s basically the only way I will cook when it’s over 80 degrees….which is all summer for us.
In comes these cheddar stuffed turkey burgers. After some testing and experimenting, I’ve found the best method for making a perfectly juicy grilled turkey burger.
And it’s oozing with cheese which is never a bad thing.
Ingredients for Cheddar Stuffed Turkey Burgers
Here’s what you’ll need to make these amazing grilled turkey burgers:
Mix Up the Patty Mixture
In a large bowl, mix together the ground turkey, garlic powder, onion powder, worcestershire sauce and olive oil. I like to use my hands to ensure everything is equally distributed.
It may be sticky but I have a secret to ensuring there is no mush in your final product below.
How to Form the Patties
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Divide the ground turkey mixture into 6 even portions.
Flatten three of the portions into 1/4-inch patties. Sprinkle each with 3 tablespoons of shredded sharp cheddar. Leave about a 1/2-inch border around the edges for sealing the patties.
Flatten one of the remaining portions in your hand to the same size as the cheese topped patties. Place on top of a patty and seal the edges with your fingers.
Repeat with remaining ground turkey to form 3 turkey burgers.
Once you’re done forming the patties, make sure to wash your hands really well and sanitize any surfaces that the raw turkey may have touched.
Fire Up the Grill
Turkey is SO good on the grill. These turkey burgers are definitely going to be on repeat all summer long for us.
Heat the grill to medium high heat, around 400 degrees. This will give a nice char and grill marks to the burgers.
Add the prepared burgers to the grill and cook about 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Secrets to the Perfect Turkey Burger
Like mentioned above, it’s important to use 85/15 ground turkey for turkey burgers. This along with a nice drizzle of olive oil ensures you have super juicy turkey burgers.
The second and equally important turkey burger tip is partially freeze the burger patties after you’ve formed them.
Follow the instructions for forming above then place them in the freezer for an hour. You can freeze for even longer if you want to get them done ahead of time. You will just need to add a few extra minutes when grilling.
If you love having an easy, homemade dinner at your fingertips, you can also prep these ahead of time and have cheesy turkey burgers whenever the mood strikes.
After you freeze them for an hour on the parchment paper, place them in a freezer gallon bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When you’re ready to cook them there is no need to thaw. Throw them on your hot grill straight from the freezer and cook until no longer pink in the middle. Always cook turkey to 165 degrees and make sure to refrigerate any leftovers within 2 hours.
Try More Turkey Recipes This Summer
This post has been sponsored by the National Turkey Federation. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Cheddar Stuffed Turkey Burgers
- 1 lb. 85/15 ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Add ground turkey to a bowl. Add olive oil, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and onion powder to the turkey. Mix well. Divide turkey mixture into 6 equal portions.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Flatten three of the portions into 1/4-inch thick burger patties. Top each with about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheddar. Leave a 1/2-inch rim around the edge to ensure they don't leak. Using your hands, flatten one of the remaining portions of turkey into a patty and top one of the cheddar topped patties. Seal the edges with your fingers and gently flatten. Repeat with the remaining burgers.
- Leave the three stuffed burger patties on the parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 1 hour. This will ensure the burgers don't fall apart when grilling. After an hour, preheat your grill over medium high heat, 400 degrees F. Grill burgers for 5 to 6 minutes per sdie. Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings.