A fun spin on a classic summer dessert, this Donut Strawberry Shortcake is sure to become a family favorite. It’s easy to make and oh so delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I love a simple summer dessert that doesn’t involve turning on the oven and this may be my favorite one yet. This Donut Strawberry Shortcake only requires five super simple ingredients and is so delicious.
Run to the store, grab what you need and make these ASAP.
Ingredients for Donut Strawberry Shortcake
You only need a handful of ingredients to put together this dessert. Here’s what you are going to need:
Macerate the Strawberries
Macerate is a big, fancy word for softening the strawberries. It’s super simple to do and doesn’t take long.
Start by slicing the strawberries. Add them to a bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Gently toss to ensure they are all covered in sugar.
Now set the bowl to the side and leave them alone for about 30 minutes. That’s it.
Place a large bowl in the freezer (this is for making the whipped cream later).
Make the Whipped Cream
During the last few minutes of the strawberries macerating, make the whipped cream.
Grab the bowl out of the freezer. Using a super cold bowl speed up the whipped cream process. If you forget to put it in the freezer it’s no big deal, it will just take a few extra minutes.
Add the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla to the bowl. Whip with a hand mixer (or use a stand mixer) until stiff peaks form.
What are stiff peaks? When you remove the whisk from the whipped cream it should form a peak that stays. If it deflates right away, keep whipping.
Be careful not to whip too much or you’ll end up with butter.
Assemble the Donut Strawberry Shortcake
Slice the donuts in half and place the bottoms on plates. Evenly divide the macerated strawberries among the donuts.
Top the strawberries with hefty dollops of whipped cream then place the donut tops on top. Enjoy right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to macerate my strawberries? For me, yes. The texture and sweetness adds SO much to the finished dessert. If you don’t have a full 30 minutes, macerate them for as long as you have before assembling the shortcakes.
Can I use store bought whipped cream? You can definitely use the canned stuff or Cool Whip if you need to throw this together quickly. Buuut, the extra few minutes to make it homemade are totally worth it.
How do I store leftovers? Make sure to only assemble the amount you need. If you only need to serve 3, store the remaining ingredients and assemble at a later time. Store macerated strawberries in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Store whipped cream in a seperate container in the fridge.
More Simple Summer Desserts
Donut Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 pound strawberries
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 glazed donuts
- Cut off strawberry tops then place flat side on your cutting board. Cut into slices. Place sliced strawberries in a bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir well. Set aside for 30 minutes. Place a large bowl in the freezer (for making the whipped cream later).
- When you have about 5 minutes left for the strawberries, grab the bowl out of the freezer. Add the heavy cream, remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla in the bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip until stiff peaks form.
- Slice the donuts in half. Top the bottom halves evenly with the strawberries. Top each with a hearty dollop of whipped cream. Add tops of donuts on top and serve immediately.