Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken is just what your busy weeknights need. Packed full of sweet, sticky, rich flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Looking for big flavor with little effort? This Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken is all that and more.
I love an easy chicken slow cooker recipe that is easy, flavorful and juicy. It’s the worst when your dinner is cooking away all day and it just ends up blah.
You don’t have to worry about any of that with this recipe. We’re bringing all the flavor with this one.
What is Bourbon Chicken?
The origins are a little unclear but at the end of the day, it seems bourbon chicken is a cajun and Chinese mash up. And you can often find it at both types of resturants. Many say it was created in New Orleans on Bourbon Street.
The sauce is a sticky, sweet and savory concontion with soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and bourbon. Plus a few more ingredients to make it even tastier.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken
How to Make Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken
It doesn’t get much easier than this. Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, apple juice, brown sugar, honey, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and bourbon to your slow cooker. Whisk to combine.
Add the boneless skinless chicken thighs to the slow cooker and flip to coat in the sauce.
Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours. The chicken will be fall apart tender.
Shred the chicken. I do this in the slow cooker with two forks. You can also remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred there.
Whisk together cornstarch and water then add to the slow cooker. Stir to combine and allow the sauce to thicken for a few minutes in the slow cooker.
Serve over your favorite type of rice.
More Slow Cooker Favorites
Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1/2-1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbps. cold water
- Place chicken into the slow cooker. In a bowl, whisk together garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, apple juice, brown sugar, honey, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, soay sauce and bourbon. Pour over the chicken. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Pour into slow cooker and stir. Allow a few minutes to thicken. Shred chicken using two forks and stir to coat in sauce.