This Pizza Chicken is sure to be a new family favorite. Marinated chicken, grilled to perfection and topped with the best pizza toppings.
Update: this post has been altered since its orginal post date in 2016. Photos and text have been updated but the recipe remains the same.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
So Many Reasons to Love Pizza Chicken
This pizza chicken is quickly going to become a favorite for many reasons. First, who doesn’t love pizza? The sauce, the cheese, the toppings. There’s just nothing wrong about that.
But instead of throwing all those things on crust, we’re changing things up and topping grilled chicken. Yum.
The recipe is super simple and minimal. You only need about 5 ingredients. The exact number can change a bit depending on what pizza toppings you choose to add.
You only need 20 minutes max to make this recipe. And it’s all done on the grill so no mess or heating up your house. Major win.
I chose to use pepperoni since that’s our favorite but feel free to add additional options like sliced olives, peppers, mushrooms, chili flakes or whatever else you love.
How to Make Pizza Chicken
To make this pizza chicken, start by marinating the chicken in balsamic vinaigrette. It only needs to marinate for an hour or two. It adds a delicious layer of flavor and definitely gives that extra oomph to the dish.
Once the chicken has marinated it’s time to get grilling. Because the chicken is thinly sliced, it only needs a few minutes per side.
Grill one side and flip. Spread the cooked side with pizza sauce then top with pepperoni and shredded mozzarella (and any other toppings).
As the second side grills the pepperoni gets a little crispy on the edges and the cheese gets all melty. It’s pretty magical.
More Easy Grilling Recipes:
- 4 thin boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 8 sandwich size pepperoni slices
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Place chicken and balsamic vinaigrette into a large ziptop bag. Seal and shake to ensure chicken is completely coated. Place in refrigerator and marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place chicken on grill and cook for 3 minutes. Flip chicken. Spread each piece of chicken with 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce, then top with two slices of pepperoni and 1/4 cup mozzarella. Grill another 3 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.