Feeling under the weather or need something to warm you up? This Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup is the perfect solution. Warm, hearty and done in minutes.
This post may contain affiliate links. As always, I only recommend products I use and love. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I really hope you own an Instant Pot, or have one on your Christmas list, because this soup is what you need to be eating RIGHT NOW.
It turned freezing here recently and all I’m thinking about is warm, cozy soups. There also seems to be lots of nasty bugs and viruses making their rounds. That means we need lots of lemony chicken soup.
Gather Your Ingredients
All simple ingredients that are easily found in any grocery store. I’m betting you might have several things already at home too.
I really love keeping a few cartons of stock on hand during the cold winter months. That way you’re at the ready when your soup craving strikes.
There are several options for you when it comes to the rice. My favorite is basmati so that’s what I used in the recipe but you can use regular white rice, jasmine rice or even sushi rice if that’s what you have.
Can I use brown rice? I haven’t tested it with brown rice for one reason. I worry the chicken will overcook in the time the brown rice needs to become nice and fluffy.
If you want to give it a go, up the cook time to 22 minutes. You’ll also want to skip dicing the chicken and instead put the whole breast into the mixture. If you give it a go with brown rice, let me know how it goes in the comments below.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup
This soup couldn’t get easier to make. First, turn your Instant Pot onto the saute method. While it’s heating up, dice up the carrots, celery and onion.
Add olive oil to the IP and add in your diced veggies. Saute them for a few minutes then season with salt, pepper and dried thyme.
While the veggies are softening, dice the chicken breasts into about 6 pieces each. This will ensure the chicken cooks thoroughly.
Add the chicken, chicken stock and rice to the Instant Pot, stir well and seal it up. Cook the soup on manual for 5 minutes then allow it to release the pressure naturally for 5 minutes.
Turn the valve to release the rest of the pressure. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Add it back to the soup and stir in the lemon juice. Then it’s soup time.
More Soups to Try:
Instant Pot Chicken Rice Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into coins (about 1 cup)
- 1 large celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, each cut into 6 pieces
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Turn saute mode on Instant Pot. Once hot, add olive oil, carrots, celery and onion. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add kosher salt, pepper and dried thyme. Stir and cook another 2 minutes. Turn off saute mode.
- Add rice, chicken and chicken stock to the Instant Pot. Stir well. Place lid on Instant Pot and turn valve to seal. Set to manual mode for 5 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 5 minutes then turn valve to release remaining pressure.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Taste. If you like more lemon flavor, add another tablespoon of lemon juice.