In celebration of my 7 year blogiversary (blog anniversary), I’m sharing this delicious Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake inspired by my very first post Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes.
You guys, I’ve been doing my thing here at Meg’s Everyday Indulgence for 7 YEARS. Crazy right?! So as I was thinking about what I should share for the occasion I figured it would be fun to grab some inspiration from my very first post. The flavor combination, not the photos. Yikes.
My first post on April 3, 2011 was for Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes that I took to a friends housewarming party. Those of you that have been around for some time know I’m not a huge fan of chocolate. I know that’s an abomination to most of you but please stay with me.
So when our friend requested something chocolate I knew I had to pair it with another flavor to create something worthy of first post honors.
When I’m thinking chocolate my go to combinations are peanut butter, orange or strawberry. I went with the latter as you know and it’s all history from there.
So to celebrate I started with the chocolate and strawberry pairing and brainstormed all the things I could create. My all time favorite dessert is cheesecake so when that came to mind it was all over. And this Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake was born.
The crust is a combination of oreos and freeze-dried strawberries to add some contrast. The cheesecake filling is pretty basic and straightforward with a little strawberry puree added for sweetness and more strawberry vibes.
And that drippy chocolate shell on top with the chocolate dipped strawberries?! STOP.
Cheesecake is often very one note but this version is packed with all the textures from the crunchy crust, the creamy filling, the snappy chocolate layer and the sweet, juicy strawberries.
I’m just saying it straight, you need to try this one. So so good.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake
For the Crust:
- 1 oz. freeze dried strawberries, pulverized
- 2 1/2 cups oreo crumbs
- 1 stick butter, melted
For the Cheesecake:
- 3 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree (about 10 strawberries), room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
For Topping and Garnish:
- 12 oz. dark chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 8 large strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, combine pulverized strawberries, oreo crumbs and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a springform pan. Wrap teh outside of the pan with foil to prevent leakage. Bake for 6 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Set aside and make cheesecake filling.
- Beat cream cheese in a stand mixer until smooth. Add sour cream and eggs and beat until just combined. Add strawberry puree and sugar mixing again until just combined. Be careful not to mix too much as it will whip in too much air and affect the texture.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture onto the crust and smooth out. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes. Turn off oven and prop door open partially. Leave cheesecake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before refrigerating. Chill 8 hours or overnight.
- After completely chilled, melt chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds. Dip 8 strawberries into the melted chocolate and set on parchment paper to set up. Pour remaining chocolate over the cheesecake and smooth to edges, allowing it to drip over. Refrigerate until hardened then garnish with dipped strawberries.