One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta will bring you back to childhood with its cheesy tomato sauce and simple assembly. The perfect dinner on a busy weeknight.
With school and fall activities right around the corner I have simple meals on the mind. Our new house is a different school attendance area and we were lucky enough to get Noah enrolled there at the start of the school year so he doesn’t have to move schools in the middle of the year.
But that means I have to drive across town (about 20 minutes) until then and his new school starts an hour earlier than his old one. So our days are about to get a lot more hectic.
Because of that and also because simple, quick meals are always a hit, I’ve been focusing on developing lots of family friendly dinner recipes for the upcoming months.
I wasn’t planning on sharing this one until the end of the month but it was so good I couldn’t wait. Not only was it a one pot wonder, but it took less than 30 minutes to make and is picky eater approved. That’s a total and complete win.
This One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta is basically a tastier, better for you version of Hamburger Helper and it’s not that much more work. For real, I promise. The only additional work is chopping the onions and garlic and gathering the ingredients. Plus, you know what’s going into it so the little bit of extra time makes it totally worth it.
Because the pasta is cooked in the beefy, tomato sauce rather than boiled in water then added to the sauce, the flavor of the dish is intensified and more cohesive. The beef broth really brings home that cheeseburger flavor. Shredded cheddar is stirred in at the end to bring that cheesy, creamy element to the dish.
Added bonus: this would make a great lunch box options for the kids once school starts. Because Noah is so picky, I have to get creative with school lunches so I often fill a thermos with heated pastas, scrambled eggs and sausage, leftover orange chicken and such. So the fact that this dinner can do double duty on a busy night and hectic morning makes it a success in my book.
One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 15 oz. beef broth
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1-2 cups water
- 8 oz. penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add onions and saute for 2 minutes, until softened and translucent. Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook another minute. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add beef broth, tomato sauce, worchestershire, mustard and 1 cup of water. Raise heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 9 to 11 minutes, until cooked al dente, stirrign often. Watch the liquid level and add up to another cup of water if needed (I didn't need to add any).
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.