This creamy Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate pasta dish. Just what your holiday table needs.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I know this is a big statement but go with it. Get ready for the best macaroni and cheese of your life. It’s that good.
Sharp cheddar and smoky, creamy gouda combine to make the most lucious and decadent macaroni and cheese.
You’ll want to stuff your face with a bowl of this Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese. For real.
Ingredients for Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
Here’s what you will need to make this creamy, decadent macaroni and cheese:
How to Make Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
Start by boiling a large pot of salted water. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
Note: cook the pasta for 3 minutes less than the package directions. It will continue to cook when it’s in the oven so this prevent mushy pasta.
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and melt. Sprinkle in the flour, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
Cook for about 2 minutes, whisking the whole time. This cooks out the flour taste.
Add half of the half and half to the roux. Whisk really well and cook until slightly thickened. Add the remaining half and half, whisk and cook again until thickened.
Whisk the egg in a small bowl. Measure out 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly drizzle into the egg while whisking.
Once the egg and small amount of sauce are whisked together, add back to the saucepan and stir. This will thicken the sauce even more.
Remove from heat. In a large bowl, toss together both cheeses. Add all but 1 1/2 cups of the cheese to the sauce. Whisk really well, until the cheese melts.
Add pasta to a 13 x 9 baking dish. Pour the sauce over the pasta and stir to coat. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake.
A New Family Favorite
This macaroni and cheese is smoky, cheesy, creamy, sharp and delicious. It would be so yummy with a pulled pork sandwich during the Super Bowl or on your holiday table.
Or a fun weekend meal to celebrate or you know, Tuesday. I would pretty much find any reason to make and inhale this sharp cheddar mac and cheese.
More Macaroni and Cheese Recipes:
Smoked Gouda and Sharp Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 cups macaroni noodles
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/2 lb. smoked gouda, shredded
- 3/4 lb. sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package directions. Combine grated cheese in a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly. This cooks out the flour taste. Slowly whisk in the half and half, in three additions, letting it thicken in between each addition. Once all the half and half has been added cook until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl, beat egg. Slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of the sauce it into beaten egg while whisking egg mixture. Pour egg mixture back into the sauce, stirring constantly until completely incorporated.
- Add all but 1 1/2 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Pour cooked macaroni into a large baking dish then pour sauce over the noodles. Stir until combined. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.