One of my very favorite foods is macaroni and cheese…I guess I never fully grew up. But seriously, what’s not to like about pasta covered in cheese? I’m normally a baked mac-n-cheese kind of girl but this creamy stovetop sausage mac-n-cheese version definitely got me thinking.
It takes less than 20 minutes to throw together on a weeknight and it is lightened up with low fat ingredients which makes it even better (you can’t even tell)!
I love mac-n-cheese with broccoli so I usually steam some to stir into my bowl. Obviously, I like anything if it’s smothered in cheese.
- 4 ounces chicken sausage, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (about 1 1/3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 5 cups hot cooked noodles (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta, use whole wheat to bump up the health factor)
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Combine milk and flour in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in cheeses, onion powder, and garlic salt; cook 3 minutes or until cheeses melt, stirring constantly. Stir in pasta. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.