Ridiculously cheesy Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin will be the star side dish at your next holiday dinner. Super simple to make using just a few easy to find ingredients.
Want a way to make healthy broccoli and cauliflower fattening and unbelievably tasty? Well, have I got the recipe for you! Smother it with cheese, sprinkle with crispy panko bread crumbs and bake.
It’s the dressed up version of the typical broccoli velveeta casserole that many of us thoroughly enjoy (my family included). This Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin so good and would be a great addition to any holiday meal.
This recipe was inspired by a recent trip to Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. When I saw broccoli au gratin listed on the menu, I just couldn’t resist. I mean, it has two of my favorite foods, broccoli and cheese. How could you go wrong? Let me tell you, it was heavenly and I knew I had to recreate it at home.
Since starting my blog, I’ve been branching out and trying new things. Although cheesy veggies is not a new thing to me, creating my own recipe (rather than using someone else’s or altering an existing recipe) is something I don’t do often.
I used the cheese sauce from my macaroni and cheese then mixed it with broccoli and cauliflower and topped it with panko bread crumbs for a delicious crunch to create this Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin. It was amazing and I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it before!
See the creamy goodness, it’s irresistible.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin
- 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen broccoli
- 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen cauliflower
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 oz. Velveeta, optional
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Lightly steam the broccoli and cauliflower.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour to make a roux and cook for 1-2 minutes to cook away the flour taste.
- Slowly add the milk to the roux. Cook for several minutes until the mixture has thickened. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Mix the broccoli, cauliflower and cheese sauce then place in a 13×9 pan. Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.