This Potato Soup is one of my favorite soups to make at home because it is so delicious, easy and comforting. And because it seems to have turned from summer to fall in a flash this was at the top of my dinner menu list.
During the last few weeks of summer, I was really looking forward to fall but now that it is here I’m not so sure. It’s definitely my favorite season….soup, pumpkin treats, sweaters, changing leaves.
There really isn’t anything not to like, oh yeah except for the fact that it leads to a cold, harsh winter. That always makes me a bit leery. This soup helps make up for the whole winter thing.
Slow Cooker and Stove Top Options
I love the convenience of this soup. It can simmer away all day in a slow cooker or you can throw it together and cook it on the stove top in about a half hour.
The stove top option will be much thinner but still packed full of flavor. When cooking in the slow cooker, it will thicken as the potatoes release their starches and soften up.
I personally prefer it in the slow cooker because of how thick and delicious the soup gets from cooking all day. But I also wouldn’t turn my nose up at the stove top version.
Simple Ingredient Potato Soup
This Potato Soup uses super accessible ingredients that you’ll be able to find at any grocery store.
- Family size cream of chicken soup
- Frozen southern-style hash browns (the cubed kind)
- Half and Half
- Diced ham
It’s a pretty basic and versatile soup that takes well to additional mix-in ingredients. We like to add cubed ham but you could also stir in bacon, carrots, cheddar cheese or smoked kielbasa instead.
Joel is not a fan of soup for dinner because according to him, it is not filling enough. If you feel the same way, try serving it with an Ultimate Grilled Cheese sandwich. That is always his favorite accompaniment to soup.
More Soup Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Potato Corn Chowder
- Cheesy Sausage Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey Noodle Soup
- Minestrone Soup with Cheese Ravioli
Potato Soup with Ham
- Slow Cooker
- 1 22.6 oz. family size can cream of chicken soup
- 1 2 lb. package frozen Southern-style hash browns
- 1 stick butter
- 1 quart half and half
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 1 lb. diced ham
- Slow cooker directions: add all ingredients to the slow cooker, mix and cook on high for 6 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Stove top directions: add all ingredients to a large pot. Stir. Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour, until you reach desired thickness. The stove top version will be much thinner than the slow cooker version.