This Southwest Steak Salad is the ultimate summer salad. Packed with grilled steak rubbed with delicious southwest spices, charred corn, avocado, crumbled queso fresco, tomatoes and crushed tortilla chips.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I love a big salad filled with all the things, especially during the summer. And there are so many good things going on in this salad. It’s definitely going to become a summer favorite in no time.
Ingredients for Southwest Steak Salad
Don’t let the ingredient list scare you away. It’s a littler larger than my average recipes but I promise it’s all easy to find ingredients.
Here’s what you’ll need:
If you prefer a different cut of steak, feel free to use what you love. NY strip or flank steak would be great options.
How to Make Southwest Steak Salad
Even though the ingredient list is long, this salad is pretty darn easy to make and assemble. Start by preheating your grill over medium-high heat.
In a small bowl, mix together the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin. Rub your spice mix over the steaks then grill them to your preferred temperature.
I’m a medium kind of girl which is 145 degrees F. I love to use a digital meat thermometer to ensure it’s grilled to perfection every time.
While the steak is grilling, prep and chop all your veggies. I love charred corn on a salad which is super easy to make.
Heat up a large (preferably cast iron) skillet and add frozen corn. Let it cook for a few minutes to brown then stir and brown a little more.
Assemble the salad and you’re ready to eat.
All the Flavors
This southwest steak salad is bringing all the flavor. First, the steak adds some major richness to the salad. The rub adds a little spice and smokiness as well.
The charred corn is sweet and really balances out the richness that the steak brings.
Have you ever had queso fresco? If you haven’t you need to try it ASAP. It’s crumbly and kind of salty which just adds another dimension to everything we have going on here.
The avocado of course adds a nice creamy richness and a little boost of fat to make it extra satisfying.
For me, there always needs to be a crunch factor. Whether it’s croutons, wonton strips, french fried onions…I could keep going. I went with crushed tortilla chips for my crunchy, salty factor.
There are so many dressing you could use on this salad that would be delicious. I went with my new favorite, avocado lime ranch.
I love the rich, creamy yet bright flavors that it brings to the salad.
Salsa ranch or a vinaigrette made with lime juice and a bit of honey would be incredible too.
More Summer Salads to Try:
Southwest Steak Salad
For the Steak:
- 1 8 oz. boneless ribeye steak, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano leaves
For the Salad:
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half vertically
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp. crumbled queso fresco
- 2 Tbsp. crushed tortilla chips
- Avocado Lime Ranch
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together the kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Rub over both sides of the steak. Grill steak to desired temperature.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and frozen corn to skillet. Cook for 2 minutes without stirring. Stir corn and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until browned.
- To assemble the salad: remove steak from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. After it has rested, slice into thin strips. Add lettuce to large plate and top with tomatoes, corn, avocado, queso fresco, steak and tortilla chips. Top with dressing and serve.