Be the star of brunch with these Savory Turnovers. Store-bought puff pastry filled with perfectly scrambled eggs, chunks of breakfast sausage and sharp cheddar cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
You all know that I’m totally down for a sweet treat turned savory. And I’m forever on team savory, especially when it comes to breakfast.
I’m sorry but donuts just aren’t my jam in the morning. Give me one for dessert and I’m set though. So when I got the idea for a savory turnover, I knew it would be a hit for me.
What Goes Into Savory Turnovers?
You could literally put anything into some puff pastry, fold it into a triangle and cook it to flaky perfection and I would eat it. Puff pastry is just that good.
But for these Savory Turnovers I went with a breakfast theme. Here’s what they are filled with:
You can fill them with any and all of your favorite breakfast items. Switch out the sausage for some crispy bacon. Add some chopped veggies to your scrambled eggs and remove the meat to make them vegetarian.
You could even add cooked, crumbled chorizo for some major flavor and spice. Basically, they are super customizable to your preferences.
Just be sure not to overfill them. You don’t want that puff pastry busting and oozing out all the delicious fillings you added.
How to Make Savory Turnovers
First, the puff pastry needs to be thawed. It will only take about 30 minutes at room temperature. Be careful not to let it get too warm as it will get too soft and become difficult to work with.
While the pastry is thawing, cook your scrambled eggs and breakfast sausage. Shred the sharp cheddar cheese as well.
The package of puff pastry will come with two sheets of dough. Cut each sheet of dough into 4 equal squares so that you have 8 all together.
Lay the squares on a greased baking sheet. Divide the scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage and shredded cheese evenly between each square.
Place the filling in one corner of the dough, so that when folded over it will form a triangle. Fold each over and crimp with a fork to seal them shut.
Brush each turnover with egg wash to give that perfectly golden, shiny crust. Bake and serve immediately.
Do They Reheat Well?
You do not want to reheat these Savory Turnovers in the microwave. It will zap all that flaky, crusty goodness right out of them. And that would be so sad.
Instead, preheat your oven to 200 degrees and place them on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. They’ll crisp right back up.
You can also reheat them in your air fryer if you have a reheat option. 350 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes should do the trick.
More Brunch Favorites:
- Nonstick spray
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 5 large eggs, divided
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut each sheet of puff pastry dough into 4 equal squares so you end up with 8 squares. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray and place the puff pastry on it. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 4 eggs, kosher salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk well. Spray skillet with nonstick spray and add eggs. Scramble then remove from heat.
- Heat another skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until crispy and browned.
- Divide eggs evenly between the puff pastry dough, placing in a corner. Leave a 1/2-inch border so you can seal them. Divide sausage and cheese evenly. Fold over dough to form a triangle. Crimp edges closed with a fork.
- Whisk last egg in a bowl and brush over the turnovers. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden and flaky.