Mix up those regular oats and make this Caramelized Apple Oatmeal. Simple, creamy oatmeal topped with sweet, buttery caramelized apple and walnut topping. It will become your new favorite way to start the day.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy here.
So I have never been a big fan of breakfast and skip it most days. I know I know. Leave the lecture behind please and thank you.
My kids on the other hand want to eat the second they open their eyes. They don’t like the same thing every morning so I’m always brainstorming new ideas to fill them up in the morning.
We’re all big fans of oatmeal so that’s a common go to option in our house. But plain oatmeal is plain boring so I decided to spice things up with spiced caramelized apples and walnuts.
Guyyys. The apples get all browned on the outside and get a little tender but still have some texture to them. The nuts are crunchy and toasty. The combination is the perfect addition of textures to the soft, creamy oatmeal.
I kept the oatmeal plain since the apples are sweet from brown sugar and spiced with cinnamon and vanilla.
I buy all my spices from Penzey’s and I completely love their cinnamon. It’s so rich, sweet and fragrant and honestly is so much better than the stuff you get at the grocery store. And just an FYI, this isn’t sponsored, I just love and live by all their spices.
This recipe makes a hearty portion for 4 people and has a great ratio of apples and walnuts to oatmeal. I don’t like wimpy oatmeal and this proves it. It also reheats well if you don’t have as many people to feed.
Whether you’re eating first thing in the morning or having a leisurely day, this caramelized apple oatmeal is sure to be a hit.
Caramelized Apple Oatmeal
For the oatmeal:
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
For the caramelized apples + walnuts:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 small apples, washed and diced into bite size chunks
- 2/3 cups walnut halves
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- For the oatmeal: add oats, milk, water and salt to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Low to a simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt the butter in the skillet. Add apples and walnuts and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon and pinch of salt. Stir well and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Divide oatmeal between 4 bowls. Top evenly with the caramelized apple mixture.