Wow Mom this Mother’s Day with this super simple Spicy Chorizo Frittata. It’s sure to become the star of your brunch.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy here.
Tell me, are you a sweet or savory breakfast kind of person? Honestly, I don’t love breakfast but if I’m going to eat first thing in the morning, I’m savory all the way.
So naturally when I started brainstorming some Mother’s Day brunch ideas I came up with all savory ideas. I kept coming back to a spicy chorizo frittata.
My favorite thing about frittata’s is that they seem super fancy but in reality they are SO easy to make. And there are so many different varieties.
Let’s chat about the process of making this frittata. First, the ingredients. Eggs, chorizo, frozen southern-style hash browns (the square kind) and cheese. THAT’S IT.
An important note before you start cooking: make sure you are using an oven-safe skillet since it will be moved to the oven to cook all the way through. I’m always down with a cast iron skillet.
Now onto the frittata process. We start by cooking the chorizo. Once it’s cooked through, the frozen hash browns get added to the pan and mingle with that spicy chorizo goodness.
While that’s cooking, whisk up the eggs then pour them into the skillet. Here’s where we need a little patience. Leave the pan alone and allow the eggs to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, until they start to set.
The cheese is sprinkled on at this point and then the frittata is transferred to the oven to cook through. See how simple that was?!
If you want some sweet options for some variety I’ve got you covered there too. These Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Danish seem fancy but are easy to make.
This Overnight Coffee French Toast would also be a big hit. Bonus, you can make it the night before.
So pull together that menu and surprise mom with a fancy brunch or breakfast in bed (after you let her sleep in m’kay).
Spicy Chorizo Frittata
- 10 oz. chorizo
- 1 cup cubed frozen hash browns
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Heat a 9 to 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Crumble chorizo into pan and cook through. Add cubed hash browns and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle olive oil into the skillet. Smooth out the potatoes into an even layer.
- Whisk eggs together in a medium bowl. Pour the eggs evenly over the chorizo and potatoes. Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bottom has set. Transfer to oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until cooked through.
- Slice into eight pieces and top with sour cream and cilantro.