This Roasted Zucchini Orzo Salad uses delicious Greek ingredients and seasonal zucchini for the perfect light and summery side dish.
I love a good pasta or macaroni salad in the summertime. They are the perfect addition to any barbecue (especially this one or this one) but sometimes they can be a little heavy. Or you don’t want to have to worry about the mayo in the dressing sitting out. Or maybe you want something that’s fresh and features seasonal produce. Am I right?
I was thinking about all these things when I came up with this Roasted Zucchini Orzo Salad.
The farmers’ market is teeming with zucchini so I knew this would be the perfect time to share this tasty and simple salad.
So let me tell you a little about it. I made this salad a few months ago to go alongside this spinach and feta stuffed chicken and it was the perfect side dish. All the Greek flavors! I think it would go equally as well with grilled pork chops, burgers or grilled chicken.
First we start by making the simple Greek vinaigrette. Shake up some fresh lemon juice, olive oil, Greek seasonings, salt and pepper in a mason jar. That’s it.
While all the flavors mingle together in the dressing, the rest of the salad gets whipped up.
If you’ve never roasted zucchini before you have to give it a go. When it caramelizes it takes on a slight sweetness that is delicious on its own but even better with the bright, zingy lemon in the dressing.
While the zucchini is roasting, boil the orzo then all that’s left to do is toss everything together.
Another great thing this salad has going for it is that it’s delicious hot, room temperature or cold so you don’t have to fuss with it during your gathering. That’s the ultimate goal of summer entertaining, right?
Roasted Zucchini Orzo Salad
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 large zucchini, diced small
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
For the dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (about 1/2 large lemon)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Greek seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss zucchini with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through the baking time.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to package directions.
- For the dressing, put all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar and shake until fully combined. Set aside.
- Toss cooked orzo, roasted zucchini and lemon dressing together in a large bowl. Enjoy hot, room temperature or cold.