Whether it’s a Cinco de Mayo celebration or just a Tuesday night, these Taco Cheeseburgers are the perfect way to celebrate. They are piled high with my favorite Mexican ingredients to create the perfect flavor and texture bomb.
I’ve had this idea rolling around my head for quite some time now and once again, I’m mad at myself for taking so long to actually bring it to fruition. I mean, tacos and burgers are among the best food creations of all time so I’m not surprised that combining them was a major success. And with Cinco de Mayo next Friday I figured this was the best time to share them.
We aren’t going to be home for Cinco de Mayo so we had an early celebration with these Taco Cheeseburgers and homemade salsa for chip dipping. I finally found a homemade salsa recipe I love (with some tweaks) from the most recent issue of Food Network Magazine so maybe that’ll come soon.
Back to the taco cheeseburgers. I started with a combination of ground beef and ground chorizo. Because chorizo is so soft, you have to be careful flipping these as they can crumble easily.
Once the patties were formed I drizzled them with a little olive oil then rubbed them with my homemade taco seasoning. It’s incredibly easy to mix up a big batch so you always have it on hand. It uses basic spices so I’m betting most of you will have the necessary ingredients in your pantry.
The burgers are topped with melty pepper jack and a tasty avocado crema that consists of a mashed avocado, a couple spoonfuls of sour cream and a squeeze of lime. It’s super simple and adds a nice creaminess to the burger. Lastly, lettuce, tomato and my favorite part, tortilla strips top the burger to add the final taco touches.
Only I would find a legitimate reason to top a burger with chips. And I’m not sorry about it. They add the perfect crunchy contrast to the creamy avocado crema which helps tame down the spiciness of the chorizo. See, it all works together friends. Perfect taco burger goodness.
For the Avocado Crema:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
For the Burgers:
- 1 lb. ground beef (85/15)
- 9 oz. ground pork chorizo
- 4 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack
- 4 burger buns
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced tomato
- Tortilla strips
- To make avocado crema: mash avocado until smooth. Stir in sour cream, lime juice and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and chorizo. Form into 4 patties and rub lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle each side with 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning. Grill until cooked through (be careful when flipping as they may fall apart easily). Top each burger with 1/4 cup pepper jack and allow to melt.
- Place buns on grill to toast. Place burgers on bottom buns. On the top bun spread with avocado crema then top with lettuce, tomato and tortilla strips.