I’m officially back on pasta and bread. Limited but they are back and I’m so very happy. So the first thing I did was combine all my favorite junk foods to trash up a classic, childhood favorite.Bacon, three types of cheeses, pasta, jalapenos and potato chips combine to create this glorious Trashed Macaroni and Cheese. Oh yes I did.
I know there can be a debate over which is better, creamy stovetop macaroni and cheese or a baked version and everyone seems to have their opinions. I’m down with any version but I grew up with baked macaroni and cheese with a crunchy breadcrumb topping so when I’m craving comfort food that’s one of the first things that pops into my head.
I actually dreamed up this trashed macaroni and cheese a few days after Lent started. You know, in the depths of pasta detox. So, I’ve been thinking about it for quite some time now and it was everything I hoped for and more.
We start by cooking the bacon until crisp. Then instead of getting rid of the bacon fat, we use it as a base for the rue. Yep, bacon fat throughout is where it’s at. We cook the rue then add milk until thickened and then the glorious cheeses.
I opted for sharp cheddar, pepper jack and spicy jalapeno cream cheese to add an extra kick. Stir in most the bacon into that creamy sauce then toss it with the pasta.
Finally, it’s topped with crushed kettle chips and a sprinkle of bacon before being baked to golden perfection.
I’m seriously drooling and would be oh so sad if I didn’t have leftovers waiting in the fridge for me.
- 12 oz. bacon, diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- 4 ounces jalapeno cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. pasta, cooked 3 minutes less than package direction
- 2 cups crushed kettle chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a high sided skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Pour bacon grease into a bowl and measure out 1/4 cup of it. Pour back into the pan. If you don't have enough bacon grease, add butter until it equals 1/4 cup of fat.
- Sprinkle flour into the bacon grease and stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk in three increments, stirring after each addition and allowing to thicken slightly. Once all the milk has been added, cook until thickened. Stir in the cream cheese until thoroughly combined then remove from heat. Stir in the cheddar and pepper jack.
- Toss the cheese sauce with the pasta and all but a handful of the bacon. Pour into a 13 x 9 baking dish. Top with crushed kettle chips and remaining bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until bubbly.
- In a small bowl, scramble the egg. Add 1/4 cup of the thickened milk mixture to the egg, whisking the whole time. Add the egg mixture to the pan and stir to combine.