We love quesadillas so I am always thinking of different varieties to mix it up and this has got to be one of my favorite combinations yet.
Joel grew up in Kansas City and I lived in the south for several years so we are big fans of barbecue. And Noah totally loves corn and black beans. He asks for them for lunch (with rice) on a regular basis.
So with all that considered, I knew these BBQ Chicken Quesadillas would be a winning meal in our house.
And they are relatively healthy so that’s a big plus too! I suppose you could use reduced fat cheese to make it even better for you but that’s kind of where I draw the line. You just don’t mess with cheese. I would rather just enjoy it in moderation.
Serve these with extra barbecue on the side if you are feeling saucy.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn
- 2 cups cheese, shredded (I used a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella)
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- BBQ sauce
- occasionally. Remove from grill and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, rinse and drain black beans. Once grill is heated, place chicken on grill and cook for about 6 minutes per side, basting with BBQ sauce.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Dice chicken into bite size pieces. Place one tortilla into skillet then sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese, corn, black beans, chicken, green onion and another 1/4 cup cheese. Top with second tortilla. Cook until golden and cheese has melted then carefully flip and cook until golden on the second side. Remove to plate and repeat process with remaining ingredients. Slice into 6 pieces using a pizza cutter. Serve with additional BBQ sauce for dipping.