Have a handful of speckled bananas lying around? Grab them and make this super moist, totally incredible banana cake with them immediately.
Ok, I have a weird confession to make. I love banana muffins, bread or cake but actual straight up bananas I could totally do without. I enjoy the flavor but the texture is usually too much for me to handle.
I know, it’s odd but I kind of am too so it makes sense in the end. Now that the confession is out in the open we can move onto the recipe.
This is one of the best cakes I have ever made! It’s moist and dense and bursting with banana flavor. It is cooked at a low temperature for a longer amount of time then thrown into the freezer immediately. This attributes the moistness of the cake so make sure to keep the freezing time in mind before you start baking. Make sure to place a few potholders on the rack just to be extra safe.
And who could forget that rather thick layer of cream cheese frosting? Not me. After the freezing time, frost it liberally with that glorious cream cheese frosting and keep in the refrigerator. I think it tastes best when chilled.
If you like a little crunch on your baked goods, you can add in walnuts to the batter or sprinkle them on top after the cake has been frosted.
I love to bring this lovely cake to potlucks because everyone seems to enjoy it, it travels well, can feed a large amount of people and is always a crowd pleaser.
How could it not with all that delicious banana flavor and that thick layer of cream cheese frosting? Let me know your favorite cake flavor in the comments below. It’s lemon and then banana as a close second for me.
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups + 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan well. Mix together the banana and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter and sugar. Cream together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Add the flour and banana mixture alternatively to the creamed butter mixture. Add buttermilk and mix until just combined. Stir in bananas by hand.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and place in the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar and beat until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Spread on the cooled cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.
May 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm
That slice is for me right? I am making this recipe as soon as I can get the mixing bowl out, it looks delicious! Hope you have a very special week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!