When I asked my husband what kind of dessert he wanted for Father’s Day he immediately responded with cookie dough ice cream. I think he must have been thinking about this for awhile. I made it once last summer and he has been talking about it ever since.
I use the pure and simple vanilla ice cream recipe from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book and stir in chocolate chip cookie dough to create my husband’s favorite flavor.
I know many people are worried about raw eggs, me included, but the thought doesn’t even cross my husband’s mind. I researched and found a recipe for cookie dough that was eggless for ice cream but he simply scoffed.
He had his heart set on good ‘ole Nestle Tollhouse cookie dough found in the refrigerated section. I then scoffed but decided to oblige since it’s was Father’s Day and all. But if you all are interested in the eggless version, check it out here.
I am known for my inability to resist ice cream so the egg really didn’t stop me from indulging. The vanilla is so pure tasting and is totally tasty on its own but the addition of cookie dough puts it over the top!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
recipe adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 2/3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 -1 cup chocolate chip cookie dough
1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in flour and salt. Set aside.
2. Bring the milk to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot milk into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a wire whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs will scramble.
3. Remove from the heat and pour the hot custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl.
4. Allow the custard to cool slightly, then stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.
5. Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Meaniwhile, cut the cookie dough into small chunks then place them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes (otherwise it would turn into a cookie dough swirl rather than having chunks of cookie dough). During the last few minutes of churning, dump in the cookie dough. You can also stir it in once the ice cream is done churning. Enjoy right away or place in a freezer safe container.
This recipe is linked to Sweet as Sugar Cookies!
March 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm
April 26, 2013 at 6:01 am
[…] favorite ice cream is cookie dough and I have made it for him several times (please forgive me for the pictures, it was in my early […]
July 30, 2014 at 5:01 am
[…] of all my homemade ice ventures. That’s saying a lot when you consider this, this, this, this and this. Rocky Road Ice Cream recipe from The Ultimate Ice Cream […]