Breakfast just got a lot more festive with this delicious Funfetti Waffles. With cake batter flavor and tons of rainbow sprinkles, these waffles will quickly become a family favorite.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
We love these funfetti waffles for birthday breakfasts or fun celebrations or Sunday brunch. They are just as easy to throw together as regular waffles and are packed with all the cake batter flavor.
You could even turn these into dessert with a scoop of ice cream and some hot fudge sauce.
Ingredients for Funfetti Waffles
Start by gathering the ingredients for these delicious waffles. Here’s what you are going to need:
Make Funfetti Waffle Batter
Grab two bowls, one for the wet ingredients and one for the dry ingredients.
Add buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla and almond extract to a bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
In the second bowl, stir together the dry ingredients and sprinkles then make a well in the middle. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together until the batter just comes together.
Let It Rest
A trick to making these waffles thick yet light and fluffy is letting the batter rest at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
But why? It yields an airy, tender waffle because the gluten has time to relax. It will also help create a crisp exterior.
While the batter is resting, preheat your waffle maker. The cook time for your waffles will depend on your waffle maker.
Waffle tip: don’t lift the top of the waffle maker until it has stopped steaming. They should be ready to go when the steam stops coming out of the sides. If not, cook a little longer until they are to your liking.
But lifting too soon will tear and possibly ruin your waffles.
More Fun Breakfast Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sprinkles. Create a well in the center. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract. Pour into dry ingredients. Fold together until the batter just comes together. Let rest for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- While the batter is resting, preheat your waffle maker. After rest time is done, add required amount of batter to your waffle maker. This will differ depending on the type of waffle maker you have. Cook until light indicates waffles are done or they stop steaming. Cook to desired crispiness. Continue until you've used all your batter. Serve with whipped cream and more sprinkles.