Game day needs these Hot Honey Wings. They are crispy, slightly spicy, a little sweet and totally addictive.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Is your team still in the playoffs? Whether you’re in it for the football or the food, it’s almost time to start planning your super bowl menu. And it’s not the super bowl without a big platter of chicken wings.
These Honey Hot Wings are the perfect addition. They are spicy, slightly sweet, buttery and just a bit sticky. They are my current favorite chicken wing and I think you’re going to love them too.
Ingredients for Honey Hot Wings
I am sharing two different methods for cooking these wings: oven baked or air fried. Both options are delicious and simple.
You’ll start out the same way with both wings. Pat the wings dry then drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
If you are air frying, place them in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Cook at 390 degrees for 18 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
If you are baking them in the oven, line them up in a single layer on an oven safe baking rack. Place the rack over a rimmed baking sheet (this will catch any juices that run off and keep your oven clean).
Why the baking rack? This keeps the wings raised up and allows the heat to move around the whole wing and crisp up the bottoms. If they are just sitting on the pan, they won’t get as crisp but that will work if you don’t have a baking rack.
Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
No matter which method you choose, you’ll end up with crispy wings to douse in our tasty sweet and spicy sauce.
Whisk Up the Hot Honey Sauce
The sauce is super simple to whip up. Add the butter, hot sauce, honey and garlic powder to a small saucepan.
Cook over medium-low heat until the butter is melted. Whisk well and allow to simmer for a few minutes. This will yield a slightly sticky sauce that will perfectly coat your chicken wings.
Time to Serve
Once the wings are cooked, toss them in your desired amount of hot honey sauce. Serve right away for the crispiest wings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best way to reheat these wings? They reheat the best in the oven or air fryer. Heat oven to 350 degrees and place on a baking rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Cook for about 5 minutes. In the air fryer: cook at 350 for 3 minutes.
How spicy are these wings? I would call these a mild spice level. If you want them spicier, sprinkle them with cayenne pepper before cooking.
More Spicy Favorites
Hot Honey Wings
- 25 to 30 chicken wings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the hot honey sauce:
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup hot sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- You can either bake or air fry these wings. If baking: line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place an oven safe baking rack on top. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat wings dry with a paper towel. Place in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper.
- Place on the prepared rack. Bake for 50 minutes, flipping after 25 minutes.
- To air fry: place oiled and seasoned wings in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Cook at 390 degrees for 18 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
- While wings are cooking, prepare the sauce. Add all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat. Whisk together until butter is melted. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Toss cooked wings with the sauce and serve immediately.