Don’t let the falling temperatures bring you down. This Spicy Black Bean Soup is just what you this fall and winter to keep you warm and cozy.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Friends, soup season is upon us and I’m totally here for it. Nothing beats a warm bowl of soup with a hunk of warm baguette.
This Spicy Black Bean Soup fits all the delicious fall soup requirements. Warm, hearty, filling. And the spice factor is an added bonus.
Ingredients for Spicy Black Bean Soup:
The ingredient list for this soup is simple and quite healthy. Here’s what you will need:
How to Make Spicy Black Bean Soup
This soup is super simple to make. Start off by adding the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions and jalapenos for a few minutes.
Next, add the garlic to the pot and cook another minute or two, until softened and fragrant. Add the tomato paste, cumin, chili powder and salt. Cook another two minutes.
Cooking the tomato paste a few minutes helps take out that tin taste from the can or tube it’s stored in. Cooking the spices this way helps release their flavors even more.
Add the black beans and vegetable broth next. Now you want to bring it to a simmer. At this point, I use a potato masher to lighty smash the beans on one half of the pot. This adds more texture to the soup and helps thicken it up as it cooks.
Simmer the soup for 20 minutes. It will thicken as it cooks and have the most perfect texture when it’s done.
30-ish Minute Perfection
Not only is this soup packed with rich, spicy flavor but it’s done in a flash too.
From start to finish it will probably take you about 35 minutes. This includes chopping time, sauteing and simmering. And I promise even though it’s done quickly, it tastes like it’s been simmering away all day long.
Whether you need a warm hearty lunch, an easy dinner or a delicious, new meal prep option, I’m pretty sure this Spicy Black Bean Soup will become your new favorite.
My Favorite Soup Recipes:
Spicy Black Bean Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 fresh jalapenos, 1 finely minced and 1 sliced into rings for garnish
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 15.25 oz. cans black beans
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil. Add onion, minced jalapeno and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add cumin, chili powder, salt and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add undrained cans of black beans and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer. Using a potato masher, smash about half of the beans. Stir again. Simmer lightly for 20 minutes, stirring often. Smash beans more if you like a thicker soup. Serve with sliced jalapenos and a dollop of sour cream if desired.