Simple summer desserts are the best and these Strawberry Crumb Bars definitely fit the bill. All you need is a handful of common ingredients to create these totally addictive bars.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Do you love shortbread cookies? The buttery, crumbly texture gets me every time. There’s just nothing bad about them.
How about a good smear of strawberry preserves? My favorite is Bonne Maman (not sponsored, just love the brand).
Combine the two and these tender, sweet, crumbly bars are born.
Ingredients for Strawberry Crumb Bars
How to Make Strawberry Crumb Bars
Start off by making the shortbread dough. It’s going to double as the crust and the crumble. Don’t you love a double duty recipe?!
Cream together the butter and powdered sugar for about 2 to 3 minutes, until it’s really light and fluffy.
Add flour, oats and salt and mix until just combined. This is important. You want the shortbread dough to be really light and fluffy and overmixing will toughen it up.
Measure out 1 1/2 cups of dough and press it into an 8×8 pan that has been lined with foil. This helps keep it from sticking and makes clean up super easy.
Bake for 12 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and spread the preserves over top. Crumble the remaining shortbread dough over the preserves.
Bake again for about 30 minutes, until the crumble is lightly golden. Let cool and cut into squares.
Mix It Up
You can make these bars with any of your favorite fruit preserves. Think blueberry, raspberry, peach, the sky is the limit.
They would be amazing with lemon curd too. I’m always ready for a lemony treat.
More Summer Desserts to Try:
Strawberry Crumb Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and powdered sugar in a stand mixer for 2 to 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add flour, oats and salt. Mix until just combined. Press 1 1/2 cups of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and spread strawberry preserves over top. Crumble the remaining dough over the preserves. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly golden. Allow to cool and cut into 2-inch squares.