Take your mozzarella sticks up a notch by coating them in pretzel crumbs before frying. The ultimate Super Bowl appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
Let’s talk the Super Bowl for a second. Are you all about the game or kind of just there for the food?
I’m solidly into it for the food. Forever and always. There’s nothing wrong with pizza and wings and all the cheesy things.
Your party should definitely start with these super tasty pretzel mozzarella sticks.
Ingredients for Mozzarella Sticks with Pretzel Crumbs
First, grab your ingredients. You’re going to need:
You can use whatever kind of pretzels you like or have on hand. Twists, nuggets, sticks, anything will work.
Pulverize your pretzels in a food processor until you have super fine crumbs. You’ll need about 2 cups of pretzels to get the amound of crumbs required.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can place the pretzels in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
How to Make Mozzarella Sticks
Now it’s time to make the glorious, pretzel encrusted mozzarella sticks.
First you need to set up the battering station. Grab three pie plates, cake pans or shallow bowls.
Flour, salt and pepper go into the first dish. Whisk the eggs in the second and add the pretzel crumbs to the last dish.
Unwrap the cheese sticks then roll them in flour. Dip and completely coat in the whisked egg. Then roll in the pretzel crumbs and place on a clean plate.
Repeat the process until they are all coated.
And a little tip while your coating. Keep one hand for the dry ingredients, flour and pretzel crumbs and one for the wet egg.
This keeps your hands from getting extra gross and goopy.
Place the breaded mozzarella sticks in the freezer for 30 minutes. Freezing the mozzarella sticks helps keep them from oozing out of the coating during the frying process so don’t skip it.
Heat about a half inch of vegetable or canola oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the cheese sticks and fry 1 minutes per side, until lightly golden.
You need to watch them very quickly because if they are in the oil too long the cheese will ooze of the the coating. If this happens, not all is lost though. They will still taste great, just look a little flat and weird.
Once they’re fried place them on a wire rack to cool for a minute then serve right away with marinara sauce for dunking.
More Addictive Super Bowl Appetizers:
Mozzarella Sticks with Pretzel Crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pretzel crumbs (about 2 cups pretzels)
- 12 mozzarella string cheese
- Oil, for frying
- Marinara sauce, for dipping
- Grab 3 pie plates, cake pans or shallow bowls. Add flour, salt and pepper to one dish. Add egg to another and whisk. Add pretzel crumbs to the last dish.
- Unwrap the string cheese. Roll string cheese in the flour. Coat completely in egg then roll in pretzel crumbs. Place on a clean plate. Continue until all the string cheese is coated. Place the mozzarella sticks in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Add half an inch of oil to a skillet. Heat over medium heat. Once hot, add mozzarella sticks and cook 1 minute per side. Remove to a wire rack. Allow to cool for a minute then serve immediately with marinara sauce.