Healthy, simple and packed with flavor, this Bruschetta Chicken makes the perfect weeknight meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy.
I have a feeling this Bruschetta Chicken is going to be a really big hit around here. Seared chicken, lots of melted mozzarella cheese and a super simple homemade bruschetta.
It’s kind of perfection in all it’s healthy glory.
What is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is traditionally an appetizer of toasted bread with a delicious combination of chopped tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top.
The tomatoes soak in the olive oil and vinegar to make the yummiest topping.
And it isn’t just for bread anymore.
The ingredient list for this Bruschetta Chicken is pretty short and sweet.
The chicken is very simply seasoned with salt and pepper before being seared. There is so much flavor and freshness in the tomato topping that it doesn’t need anything else to shine.
I chose to use roma tomatoes because they are easy to find and are generally delicious in flavor. If yours don’t look great at the store, feel free to sub in another tomato. Just try to grab one the same size as two roma tomatoes.
The addition of fresh basil is such a game changer. It adds SO much freshness and flavor. If you can’t find fresh basil, you can substitute in 1/2 teaspoon dried basil instead but be forewarned, it won’t be quite as delicious.
The balsamic vinegar adds sweet tanginess to the tomato mixture. I don’t recommend using a different vinegar for this. The balsamic is just perfection.
How to Make Bruschetta Chicken
This dinner may look fancy but it is seriously super simple to make. The most time consuming part is chopping the tomatoes. I can get behind that kind of weeknight meal.
You want to start by making the tomato topping first so that it has a little time for the flavors to marry together. First, get to chopping the tomatoes, garlic and fresh basil then place them in a mixing bowl.
Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt and pepper. Gently stir it together and you are done. Set it aside to marinate for a few minutes while you move on to the chicken.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. I like using a cast iron skillet for this since it will give you a really nice sear on the chicken.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook until just done in the skillet. Add 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella on each piece of chicken and allow it to melt.
Top each piece of chicken generously with your tomato mixture and enjoy the fresh goodness.
More Weeknight Wonders:
For the tomato topping:
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
For the chicken:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- For the tomato topping: chop the tomatoes into 1/4-inch dice. Add to a medium sized bowl. Mince garlic and add to tomatoes. Stack basil leaves on top of each other then roll lengthwise (to look like a cigar). Thinly slice across to create ribbons of basil. Add to tomatoes and garlic. Drizzle in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle in kosher salt and pepper. Toss gently and set aside.
- For the chicken: heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the chicken evenly with kosher salt and pepper. Add olive oil to the skillet and add chicken. Sear for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until golden and cooked through. Top each piece of chicken with 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella and allow to melt. Remove chicken from skillet and top generously with the tomato topping.