In need of a quick and simple side dish? These Asian Green Beans take only minutes to make and are packed with so much Asian flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy here.
I’ve decided we need more interesting vegetable side dishes in our lives. I’ve been depending on those frozen steamed veggies in a bag way too much lately. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an easy and healthy way to get vegetables on the table and I’m all for them but they can get a little boring too.
So I’m sharing these Asian Green Beans while fresh green beans are still in season to help spice up everyone’s meal.
You’ll need fresh green beans, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds and vegetable oil for this recipe. Sesame oil can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store. Just a drizzle of it adds major flavor to this dish.
This dish starts with cooking the green beans over medium high heat in vegetable (or canola) oil until they are a bit charred and softened. While this is happening, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and some of the sesame seeds in a bowl.
Once the green beans are ready, lower the heat and add that deliciously rich, sweet and salty sauce to the skillet and simmer until it coats the green beans.
Keep in mind that sesame oil isn’t meant for high heat but instead for low temperatures or finishing a dish. If it gets too hot it will taste bitter so make sure to lower the heat as instructed once the sauce is added to the green beans.
On the Table in Minutes
As evidenced above, these Asian Green Beans literally take minutes to make. From preheating your skillet to serving on the table, we’re talking 10 minutes. That’s almost as simple as those steamer veggies. And they pack way more flavor.
Pair These Asian Green Beans with These Great Dishes:
Asian Green Bean
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 lb. fresh green beans
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tps. grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds, divided
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil. Once glistening, add green beans and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until charred and softened.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the sauce to the skillet. Stirring constantly, simmer green beans for 2 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thickened and the green beans are coated. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds before serving.