Put a fun spin on a simple side dish with these Foil Packet Potatoes with Blue Cheese Dressing. Minimal preparation and clean up make these a breeze.
It’s official, school is back in session. I was fully ready for it but the past few days I have felt crazy anxious and nervous. Those back to school jitters and butterflies in the stomach came rushing back to me. I couldn’t sleep last night guys.
Noah started at a new school today and he’s been so nervous about it the past few days that I can’t help but feel all the feels too.
We’re blessed enough to know a few families at his new school and saw one today at drop off and the other at open house night so I think that definitely helped ease the nerves a little for him. They have early dismissal the first two day so that will hopefully help ease him into it.
After I dropped Noah off I took Hannah to preschool and she was like an old pro and barely said goodbye before she took off to play. I guess it’s a good thing I only have to sit here and worry about one of them #momprobs.
With school back in session and activities starting up easy meals are on my mind. Ok, so they always are but especially now.
I can usually think of a main dish but I often struggle with a simple side dish that isn’t just a steamed vegetable.
Oven roasted potatoes are often a go to when the weather starts to cool down and we start craving comfort food but they can get boring sometimes. I was thinking about ways to elevate them and my current cheese obsession, blue cheese, came to mind.
Instead of just throwing blue cheese on top (which is also delicious) I decided to whip up a super easy blue cheese dressing to drizzle over the finished potatoes. It was a good idea friends. The dressing warms a bit and the blue cheese gets melty and adds lots of flavor.
Instead of throwing the potatoes on a sheet pan like I usually do I went with the foil packet route. It makes for easier clean up and I think it yields a fluffier inside while still crisping and browning the exterior of the potatoes.
If you are grilling your main dish you can throw the packets on the grill alongside it to make mealtime even easier. If your grill is around medium heat, cook them for the same amount of time as the recipe states. We do this often throughout the summer when it’s too hot to turn on the oven.
So there you have it, a simple, classic side dish with a twist.
Foil Packet Potatoes with Blue Cheese Dressing
For the Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. mayo
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
For the Potatoes:
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, washed and diced into 1-inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. fresh black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. To make the dressing: whisk together sour cream, mayo, buttermilk, salt, pepper and vinegar. Gently fold in blue cheese crumbles. Place in an airtight container (I like using mason jars for dressing) and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add potatoes to a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Toss again.
- Tear off two pieces of foil about 16 inches each. Add half the potatoes to each piece of foil then wrap up tightly. Place the foil packets on a baking sheet then place in the oven. Cook for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time.
- Remove from oven and very carefully open the foil packets. Drizzle each with the blue cheese dressing.