The weather around here has been bipolar to say the least. It was 70 degrees this weekend and still pretty nice on Monday then we wake up yesterday and it’s 25 degrees. Seriously Nebraska, get it together. Short sleeves on Saturday and winter coats on Tuesday. Not cool. NOT COOL.
The warmth got me feeling some major summer vibes which makes me crave cool, fresh, crisp salad. But this crew of mine isn’t always down with salad for dinner so sometimes I have to get a little creative when a salad craving strikes. Although they will eat cobb salad without complaints since there’s so much toppings, I thought it would be fun to put a little twist on it to liven up dinner.
In comes the beloved lettuce wrap. They make for a fun presentation and we get to eat them with our hands. Even my pickiest eater loved them and requested seconds. That never happens.
Joel and I seriously cheered and did a happy dance at the table for him. Luckily, he’s at an age where that is still encouraging and funny. We aren’t embarrassing quite yet.
These California Cobb Lettuce Wraps are stuffed with grilled balsamic marinated chicken, diced avocado, grape tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, bacon and bleu cheese. Then drizzle them with some homemade buttermilk ranch to make your salad dreams come true. I also really love this dressing on a cobb salad. They are so fresh and crunchy and messy.
The whole time we were eating dinner, I was looking forward to lunch the next day. It’s always a good sign when that happens. These are the times I’m extra thankful Joel’s company caters lunch for their employees so I don’t have to share the leftovers.
Whether you’re having shorts or winter coat weather, these California Cobb Lettuce Wraps will brighten your day and make you feel like summer is on the horizon.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 5 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- Romaine heart leaves
- Buttermilk ranch
- Place chicken breasts and balsamic vinaigrette in a ziptop bag and marinate for 1 to 4 hours. Meanwhile, prep veggies and cook bacon.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. Grill chicken 6 minutes per side, until cooked through and no longer pink. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes then dice into bite-size chunks.
- Cut end off romaine heart then wash and dry thoroughly. Lay out one romaine leaf and fill with chicken, egg, bacon, avocado, bleu cheese crumbles and tomato. Drizzle with desired amount of buttermilk ranch.
March 2, 2016 at 6:22 am
oh my gosh these have me drooling!!!! and possibly making last minute changes to my monthly menu plan. haha. (the only downside of planning meals a month in advance is that when my food blogger friends post ridiculously amazing things I have to wait a whole month to get them in the rotation.) i love everything “california cobb” – chicken sandwiches, salads, clubs, wraps, lettuce wraps, and on and on. something-california-cobb is basically what we eat all summer. can’t wait to try these!