If you all have been following me for awhile, you know that Joel and I are not big chocolate lovers. It has it’s place in cookies and such but for me, not as the main star. I’ve never been a fan of chocolate cake (except for my sister-in-laws) or chocolate ice cream but somehow Noah got the chocoholic gene. So some kind of chocolate ice cream had to be present at his party and I decided to go with Rocky Road since he also has a love affair with marshmallows and almonds.
This chocolate ice cream is incredibly rich and decadent (thank you dutch process cocoa) so just a scoop is satisfying. Which is good considering the ingredient list. The marshmallows stay soft and the almonds add a delicious, salty crunch.
Although this wouldn’t be the first ice cream I would reach for, it’s pretty tasty even for a non-chocolate lover. And I have to say too, my brother doesn’t care for chocolate all that much either and he said it was his favorite of all my homemade ice ventures. That’s saying a lot when you consider this, this, this, this and this.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted almonds, roughly chopped
- In a food processor, combine sugar, eggs and cocoa and blend until smooth.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle the hot milk into the chocolate mixture through the feed tube. Process until well blended. Pour the entire mixture into the pan and cook over low heat. Whisk constantly until the custard thickens slightly. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large, clean bowl. Cool slightly then stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Stir in the custard then freeze according to manufacturers directions. During the last 5 minutes of freezing, dump in the marshmallows and almonds. Transfer to a freezer safe container.
October 21, 2014 at 11:29 pm
[…] some fun in the VERY hot sun, we headed back to the house for pizza, cupcakes, a pinata and three different homemade ice creams. […]
June 14, 2015 at 5:02 am
[…] *Ice cream pictured above is Rocky Road. […]