Noah is going to be four next week. FOUR! He’s having a putt putt golf birthday party this weekend and requested strawberry cupcakes with strawberry frosting. Usually I go all out with the food for his party but I decided to keep it simple this year and order pizza since we are leaving for vacation early Tuesday morning. Well, I couldn’t just leave well enough alone so I decided to make a few different ice creams to go with his homemade cupcakes.
Since he seemed to be on a strawberry kick I figured strawberry ice cream was a requirement. With a little searching I found this recipe for roasted strawberry ice cream. I’ve never heard of roasting strawberries and was very intrigued and just had to give it a try.
The strawberries are roasted with sugar, vanilla and wine then half of them are pureed and mixed into the custard mixture.
It’s sweet, creamy and bursting with strawberry goodness. I love that the ice cream has the strawberry puree and chunks throughout for a double punch.
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, quartered
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tbsp white wine
- ½ cup half and half
- ¼ to ½ cup granulated sugar (depends on how sweet you want your ice cream and how sweet your strawberries are; I used 1/4 + 1/8 cup)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a glass pan combine strawberries, sugar, vanilla and wine. Roast for 30-40 minutes. Puree half the mixture and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, warm half and half to almost a simmer. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and corn syrup until pale yellow and thickened. Slowly pour warmed half and half into egg yolk mixture, whisk the entire time. Pour mixture back into the pan and cook over medium-low heat until thickened. Don't let it boil or the eggs will scramble.
- Pour custard through a fine mesh sieve, cover and place in refrigerator to cool. Mix blended strawberries, strawberry chunks and heavy cream into the custard mixture. Freeze according to your ice cream directions.
July 24, 2014 at 2:44 pm
[…] interested, I will share photos and some stories of our vacation sometime soon. Like I told you here, I made several different ice creams for Noah’s 4th birthday party and this was one of them. […]
October 21, 2014 at 11:29 pm
[…] hot sun, we headed back to the house for pizza, cupcakes, a pinata and three different homemade ice creams. […]
May 18, 2015 at 5:07 am
[…] make these cute graduation hat cupcakes, roasted strawberry ice cream (with lemon Oreos mixed in) and raspberry white chocolate chunk ice cream and they were all big […]