These Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are full of fall spices, smooth cream cheese filling and crunchy nuts. It all combines to create the the perfect fall breakfast.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy here.
Isn’t pumpkin season the best season?! I fully admit to making pumpkin treats all year so technically I’m always in pumpkin season. I also understand not everyone is as dedicated as I am to all things pumpkin.
But it’s September so it’s officially time. And the best way to start pumpkin season is with these Starbucks Copycat Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins.
They are incredibly moist, perfectly spiced and the perfect mix of textures. The creamy cream cheese on top is the perfect play with the crunchy walnuts.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you don’t need any special equipment to make them. I LOVE my KitchenAid mixer but sometimes I don’t want to haul it out. This recipe doesn’t contain butter so there is no need for a mixer and everything can be done in a couple bowls.
The recipe starts with the cream cheese mixture. First, the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla are stirred together. Then you need to form a long log with the mixture and wrap it in plastic wrap. That goes into the freezer for about an hour so it can harden and won’t turn into a gloopy mess when baked in the muffins.
While the cream cheese is hardening, mix up the muffin batter. This part is pretty much as simple as it gets. Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Pour the wet mixture into the dry and gently fold together.
This recipe makes 24 muffins so divide the batter evenly into your muffin tin. Grab the cream cheese out of the freezer and cut evenly into 24 pieces. I like to cut it in half. Then cut the halves in half and go from there to get it as close to identical as possible.
Each little cream cheese disc is gently pressed into the top of the batter, gets a sprinkling of walnuts and baked to tender perfection.
Starbucks Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Muffin tin
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- Chopped walnuts or pumpkin seeds
- Stir together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract until well combined. Place on a piece of waxed paper, parchment or plastic wrap. Form into a long log that isn't wider than a muffin cup. Wrap and place in the freezer for an hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, pumpkin, molasses and vegetable oil. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Line 24-muffin cups with muffin tins or spray with nonstick spray. Divide muffin batter evenly among the muffin cups, a little over half full. Remove cream cheese roll from freezer and cut evenly into 24 discs. Place a cream cheese disc on top of each muffin and press down lightly. Do not press it so far that it's covered with batter. Sprinkle with chopped nuts or seeds Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the batter (not the cream cheese). Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing. Cool completely on a cooling rack.